Manchester airport security scanners, now compulsory, men see women naked !

And that's in the US :)

It does make you think though, $40 billion spent so far. That's a tidy sum for all these companies supplying tech and services to prevent terrorism.

its in the US but they are encouraging it world wide! although Americans have the right to opt out-do we?

we do not! we will be barred from flying!

We are dealing with suicide bombers, and people who aren't just willing to die for their supposed cause, but are actually planning on it. By technologically stripping them naked it strikes me that the next step they take will be explosive devices either swallowed or surgically implanted.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=673176

Just read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/11/23/anti_tsa_undies/

US firm Rocky Flats Gear is apparently doing a roaring trade in novel perv scanner-busting underwear - an attractive range of intimate apparel which may protect your naughty bits from radiation and the prying eyes of drooling airport security operatives.

Available here: http://www.rockyflatsgear.com/

I travel on planes quite regular, and I could not care less about being seen naked when scanned. The airport is always so busy, the security don't have time to dwell on someone's x-ray image.

I am a retired nurse and believe me I have seen many many naked bodies, no point in bothering about a split second scan.

It's a total non-starter, never mind if it upsets people. It's techno snake-oil sold to bureaucrats and politicians with other people's money to spend, and no track record of "joined up thinking".

It produces plenty of column inches, satisfies the call to "do something" yet offers no practical defensive or preventative advantages over all other existing methods of ensuring passenger and airline safety. It is however expensive and produced only by a handful of companies, who have had an absolute bonanza.

I don't think successive governments have an explicit "let's create a surveillance state" policy of the kind we decried elsewhere 20 years ago.

But I do think that simply buying up the latest technological advances as a solution to every social problem is both expensive and ineffective.

We are dealing with suicide bombers, and people who aren't just willing to die for their supposed cause, but are actually planning on it. By technologically stripping them naked it strikes me that the next step they take will be explosive devices either swallowed or surgically implanted.

Why use a machine to undress people at all? Why not just have them take their clothes off? Surely that will save £squillions?

Fair enough, I expect you are right. I find the paedo on every corner arguments more absurd than the surveillance ones.

How about it? You'd need to be seriously messed up to get off on that. There's stronger material for a Barclay's in the Grattan catalogue.

sorry to be a paranoid conspiracy theorist here but with the amount of cctv we have and facial/body recognition software I can't help thinking this is just a government tracking tool. Particularly when you take into account that this will find nothing the other less intrusive techniques will find.

It will be enough for people to "get off on" its only a matter of time before a paedo ring gets involved.

anyway in better news:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/8152047/Fig-leaf-knickers-protect-passengers-privates-from-airport-scanners.html

Im still gonna avoid flying though because if they can't treat me like a customer they will not be getting my business.

Like there is even a chance they don't know who is going through and when,

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/mar/24/airport-worker-warned-body-scanner

I heard on the radio this morning that an RAC sponsored study into the effects of Speed Cameras concluded that eliminating all of them would cost about 800 lives a year.

Now, I know what you`re thinking.

Why is he on about speed cameras on a thread about airport security ?

Well it`s about risk and peoples poor understanding of it.

There are some on here who are quite happy to humiliate themselves to reduce an already infinitesimally small risk of being blown up on a plane, yet how many of them think speed cameras "should be banned" (or restricted). I`ll bet there are a certain proportion who do actually fall into both those camps. Yet they, or their family, are far far more likely to be killed on the roads than in a plane.

Inconsistent ? My logic circuits are in overload.....

I heard on the radio this morning that an RAC sponsored study into the effects of Speed Cameras concluded that eliminating all of them would cost about 800 lives a year.

Now, I know what you`re thinking.

Why is he on about speed cameras on a thread about airport security ?

Well it`s about risk and peoples poor understanding of it.

There are some on here who are quite happy to humiliate themselves to reduce an already infinitesimally small risk of being blown up on a plane, yet how many of them think speed cameras "should be banned" (or restricted). I`ll bet there are a certain proportion who do actually fall into both those camps. Yet they, or their family, are far far more likely to be killed on the roads than in a plane.

Inconsistent ? My logic circuits are in overload.....

not only humiliate yourselves but pay £100s to do it. To have your drinks taken away 2h before the flight so you have to purchase expensive food/drink at the airport. Then you get to sit in the tiniest seat possible that doesn't actually fit your legs even if you aren't tall whilst enjoying the delightful customer service and aeroplane food of your chosen airline:gag:

European holidays by train and british holidays are where it is at!:cool: or maybe a cruise? Although Im sure eventually they will bring in naked scanners for train rides!

I get the feeling we are sleepwalking into a police state!

Archived