Manchester airport security scanners, now compulsory, men see women naked !

I think the most dangerous thing about the scanners is that any sense of security they provide is entirely false.

good point and while we all, or those gullible enough to believe the scare stories think we are safe, a select few are getting fat off the profits made by selling these scanners to airports in the uk. does anyone care to investigate if these companies receiving millions of tax payers money have any connection to either the current or previous governments?

Someone has sold these scanners worldwide, there are only one or two manufacturers, and they've done a very good job - mind you with a sales pitch like "only one thing stands between your passengers and certain death, the new ACME E-Z NUDE millimetric wave radar scanner!" you can't really fail.

People love a technological solution to the their problems. What they usually get is a technological alleviation of the symptoms, for a short time - and by then, some new technology will have arrived to take its place, because it's "better".

The scanners don't defend against anything. Any self respecting suicide cell will now use internal explosives or a SAM against airliners. If I can think of viable ways to get around these scanners, then you can be certain any potential fruitcakes have already been there.

are they, then how did some scanner operators manage to make copies of more then 100 people in that case?

this is very interesting: http://www.jaunted.com/story/2010/1/6/165831/7563/travel/Full-Body+Scanners+101%3A+How+Naked+Is+Full-Body+Scan+Naked%3F

and this is also: http://www.prisonplanet.com/exposed-naked-body-scanner-images-of-film-star-printed-circulated.html

Okay, they're not supposed to be stored.

Someone has sold these scanners worldwide, there are only one or two manufacturers, and they've done a very good job - mind you with a sales pitch like "only one thing stands between your passengers and certain death, the new ACME E-Z NUDE millimetric wave radar scanner!" you can't really fail.

People love a technological solution to the their problems. What they usually get is a technological alleviation of the symptoms, for a short time - and by then, some new technology will have arrived to take its place, because it's "better".

The scanners don't defend against anything. Any self respecting suicide cell will now use internal explosives or a SAM against airliners. If I can think of viable ways to get around these scanners, then you can be certain any potential fruitcakes have already been there.

I'd agree with all these points, I'm only arguing that "Think of the children" isn't a helpful response when we should be criticising security theatre, the loss of privacy and waste of public money.

meanwhile others need to understand peoples right to privacy and not be duped by governments wishing to subjugate the population with wild horror stories about perceived threats they have no evidence for or justification to remove your rights.

ROFL. You are kidding me with this, right?

But as I guess you're not. The answer is simple. Don't go through the machine. Problem averted. All hysterical reactions to the evil paedomatic device negated by a simple standard search!

Now, wasn't that easy? :)

Have you been through Manchester airport recently, there's no publicised option of not going through the machine.

Ah, and 10 seconds of searching has rendered this

X-Ray Scanners

From February 1st 2010, additional Government legislation came into operation at this airport. Any selected passenger who refuses to use the scanner will be denied travel.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/SecurityProcedure

No standard search is available.

I'd agree with all these points, I'm only arguing that "Think of the children" isn't a helpful response when we should be criticising security theatre, the loss of privacy and waste of public money.

Absolutely agree with all of that. The "think of the children" angle is too emotive and fails to tackle the more pressing problems with the use of these scanners.

Except that, no the images are not stored...

And yes, of course they are supervised.

have you any idea how a computer works?

of coarse every single image produced gets stored!

unless the hardrive used was to spin back after each images was created and reformat its self each time! which it is obvious they will not do!

the fact is a country like Israel which has the highest threat level sees these machines of no use and has rejected them to be used on its soil, makes me think why on earth should we be subjected too them!

Archived