Manchester airport security scanners, now compulsory, men see women naked !

I heard on R4`s Today programme that they`re bringing in new scanners at Heathrow which are less revealing, and, just as important to me and my wife, you actually get to see the image which has been taken*.

I can`t say the new system is one I`d actually like, but I wouldn`t get as angry and upset as I do at the moment. It`d be far preferable to the present scanners.

The thing is, bearing in mind how much money Manchester Airport have spent on the present scanners, does anyone know if they`ve got plans to bring in the updated type of scanners ?

* Unlike the present system where some chap, or woman, in a room somewhere gets to see you in the altogether but you don`t.

I heard on R4`s Today programme that they`re bringing in new scanners at Heathrow which are less revealing, and, just as important to me and my wife, you actually get to see the image which has been taken*.

I can`t say the new system is one I`d actually like, but I wouldn`t get as angry and upset as I do at the moment. It`d be far preferable to the present scanners.

The thing is, bearing in mind how much money Manchester Airport have spent on the present scanners, does anyone know if they`ve got plans to bring in the updated type of scanners ?

* Unlike the present system where some chap, or woman, in a room somewhere gets to see you in the altogether but you don`t.

i heard the same report today on radio 4. the new scanner gives you a print out of your image and gives less away. i only assume that the scanners wouldn't need replacing but just a software upgrade and an additional printer for the customer.

on the radio 4 report the interviewer asked the head of baa security directly if any of the present security had prevented a plane from being attacked. the answer was no.

Guardian article about the new scanners which includes an example image.

• 3 weeks later...

Whether you can be identified from the scanner or not is irrelevant. Its an invasion of privacy and undignified. Even if they can't see your face they're still getting a slight image of what you look like undressed. I personally would never go through one and if I'm honest it puts me off going abroad.

Guardian article about the new scanners which includes an example image.

That would be fine, seeing as though its not your body and they don't see anything.

But I agree with another poster. Terrorists HAVE won! I also read in an article that they don't detect liquid bombs or drugs, though I read in another that they do. Does anyone know which is true? As isn't it a bit pointless if they don't?

Archived