Manchester airport security scanners, now compulsory, men see women naked !

You are right it's impossible to compare like with like, but what you can talk about is managing risk. It is impossible to eliminate risk, what you can do is manage it. It is abundantly clear that the risk is neglable, for example, Cancer research UK states that the low levels of radiation that a passenger would experience (during a flight) are very unlikely to seriously affect their cancer risk, even if they were a frequent flyer.

So if that's the case, then when you consider that the scanners carry risk that can described as being far far less than the risk of flying, it is safe to describe the risk from these scanners to be negligible.

The fact is you like the scanners and I don't and no amount of posting on an online forum will change that. I fly regularly from Manchester and I have to go through these things and I don't like it. They make me feel less safe rather than more safe and I also find them intrusive and degrading.

Even if I believed in radiation hormesis I wouldn't like them.

Don't airline workers have higher allowed levels of radiation exposure than normal workers?

The fact is you like the scanners and I don't and no amount of posting on an online forum will change that. I fly regularly from Manchester and I have to go through these things and I don't like it. They make me feel less safe rather than more safe and I also find them intrusive and degrading.

Even if I believed in radiation hormesis I wouldn't like them.

Don't airline workers have higher allowed levels of radiation exposure than normal workers?

what is wrong with you??

You find standing in between in a metal box for a few seconds "degrading and intrustive"??

As oppose to what? Pat down search?, being run over with a detector wand? A full cavity search?

Seriously get over it. Perhaps regular airline travel isnt for you.

I have to attend court daily and have to go through metal detector arches and often when they are on lockdown a full pat down search. No arguments, No choice. Its just one of those things.

I think you have issues.

The problem is that they use X-rays to scan you in these machines. They accept that some more people will die of cancer by going through these machines, but say that the number is very small.

The EU has moved to ban the devices and the ones in Manchester are the only ones left in use in the whole of the EU as they have special permission to complete their trial of these machines.

Our knowledge of low-level radiation risks is very poor. Most of it was previously based on the risks from high levels of exposure, such as those resulting from the Japanese bombs in WWII, extrapolated back to low levels of exposure.

We now know that this was wrong, and our estimates of the risks from low levels of exposure were greatly exaggerated.

Someone always beats me to it.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/anti_scan_undies_use_junk_science_KFe58odTewphdFCC6O2AXM

The inventor doesn't need to use radiation as a sales pitch, I'd buy a pair just for the privacy.

Screw it, I'd wear radioactive underwear - that would put the willies up them.

http://www.paratonnerres-radioactifs.fr/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/iradia-sous-vetements-Radioactifs.jpg

what is wrong with you??

You find standing in between in a metal box for a few seconds "degrading and intrustive"??

As oppose to what? Pat down search?, being run over with a detector wand? A full cavity search?

Seriously get over it. Perhaps regular airline travel isnt for you.

I have to attend court daily and have to go through metal detector arches and often when they are on lockdown a full pat down search. No arguments, No choice. Its just one of those things.

I think you have issues.

Yeah, you're right, regular airline travel isn't for me.

I've travelled by air for my work every three weeks on average since 1980, mostly between continents. That's +/- 550 flights. I think I'm entitled to my opinion.

Yeah, you're right, regular airline travel isn't for me.

I've travelled by air for my work every three weeks on average since 1980, mostly between continents. That's +/- 550 flights. I think I'm entitled to my opinion.

Bully for you. That's quite a lot of airmiles.

Yes you are entitled to your opinion as I am mine.

But I just dont understand you comment that you find scanners "intrusive" and "degrading". It simply doesnt make sense. You are standing on your own in a metal box for a few seconds as blury annonymous xray style image is produced and then you walk on. How can you honestly find that any more degrading or intrusive to any of the previous security searches. Pat downs, belt, shoe, accessories removal, run over with a dectector wand?? I just doesn't add up.

Have you ever been to a doctor examination, dentist in your face, hospital x ray - (which ARE kept on record and often distributed to various other doctors, insurers, agencies, lawyers) or god forbid had to go through a colonoscopy or endoscopy procedure. How do you feel about those?

The fact is if we want to stop terrorists blowing their balls off and bringing the plane down with them security MUST be hightened in these times. Regrettebly that situation aint gonna change. The point I was making is that if you are not happy with these changes maybe its time to stop travelling if you feel so uncomfortable.

How about a small step initially - change airport perhaps to one without scanners?

Archived