Drinks licences at an all time high despite smoking ban and recession

Walk down West Street and you can see the changes in our drinking habits. Dozens of buildings that were shops are now cafe bars serving alcohol. It is the same in every town and city in the UK.

Some folk try to claim that the smoking ban is closing pubs. It isn't. Our drinking habits are changing and many folk prefer to drink in a cafe bar or a wine bar rather than an old traditional boozer.

There are now almost 1/4 million licenced premises in the UK around 10% more than when the smoking ban was introduced. They also serve longer hours than they did before and alcohol sales have also increased.

no ..

excellent debate there!

The government has said that it will cut out the 24 hour licences which will hopefully restore the balance towards traditional pubs rather than late night food outlets.

not that there are actually that many 24hr premises. you still need to apply for it the same way you would to get any license.

the smoking ban made no difference to the bar I ran. I saw a change in drinking habits and that lasted about 2 weeks after that people just accepted it and changed their habits to suit them.

Also the obsession the UK seems to have with "traditional" boozers. I cant stand them myself. There is no reason why an upto date place cant supply what a "traditional" pub can. It all boils down to the person running it.

excellent debate there!

not that there are actually that many 24hr premises. you still need to apply for it the same way you would to get any license.

the smoking ban made no difference to the bar I ran. I saw a change in drinking habits and that lasted about 2 weeks after that people just accepted it and changed their habits to suit them.

Also the obsession the UK seems to have with "traditional" boozers. I cant stand them myself. There is no reason why an upto date place cant supply what a "traditional" pub can. It all boils down to the person running it.

http://www.christian.org.uk/news/24-hour-booze-licences-at-record-high/

The number of pubs, bars and nightclubs which have been granted a 24-hour drinking licence has rocketed in the last two years, Government figures show.

Labour’s controversial 24-hour drinking laws have come under sustained pressure and in July the coalition Government said they would reform the licensing system.

The new figures, from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, reveal 7,800 premises have all-day drinking licences.

Both pubs (one subsequently redeveloped into houses) in my tiny village in Norfolk got 24 hour licences. Neither have yet opened for 24 hours continuously.

Before the new licencing laws, they would regularly have a lock in till midnight with a handfull of regulars, causing no problems to the neighbours or anti-social behaviour. When the changes came through, instead of keeping their existing hours they both went for 24 hours licences, and both were granted. They basically carried on opening as before, but they were now doing it legally.

How many of the 7,800 premises are supermarkets and off-licences? How many of the remainder actually open for 24 hours in a row at any point?

Walk down West Street and you can see the changes in our drinking habits. Dozens of buildings that were shops are now cafe bars serving alcohol. It is the same in every town and city in the UK.

Some folk try to claim that the smoking ban is closing pubs. It isn't. Our drinking habits are changing and many folk prefer to drink in a cafe bar or a wine bar rather than an old traditional boozer.

There are now almost 1/4 million licenced premises in the UK around 10% more than when the smoking ban was introduced. They also serve longer hours than they did before and alcohol sales have also increased.

hey up I'm reet clever i am like.

Ever thought that pubs are closing down on estates and moving to the city centre because those are the bars that can only to make any sort of profit? People want to go to the city centre or at least a place where 4 or 6 pubs are concentrated in a relatively small area.

Archived