Human rights lawyers condemn English tests for spouses coming to UK

I live in lincolnshire and had reason to have eye tested at my local hospital, when i had the initial test the nurse asked me what the doctor had said, i told her that i could not understand him she said i will find out for you, when she returned i asked her what he had told her she replied i don't know i could not understand him. Later the senior consultant informed me of the outcome.

It took me a while to understand people when I first moved to Lincolnshire ;)

I soon picked up the language, though.:hihi:

May I recommend: "Wodds and Doggerybaw. A Lincolnshire Dialect Dictionary" by J. M. Sims-Kimbrey, ISBN 0 902662 68 6 (cased edition published 1995) or 0 902662 69 4 (paperback edition 1996). The preface says that it is "The Straangers an 'Furriners Guide' Ter Undercupmfun Yeller-Bellies"

Epic fail.

Well, should it not be the case? If a good grasp of literacy and the spoken word were criteria, that would rule out half of the so called indiginous population.

Why?

Most immigrants cant speak or write a word of English.

Should they sod off too?

No, my point is that they shouldn't, however, they should be encouraged to learn the language and be given incentives to do so.

Thats wasnt the point and you know it.

the point is the poster was saying the docs grasp of English was so poor that 2 different people (one of them who is used to 'medical jargon' and one who isnt) couldnt tell what he was saying.

And you think this is a good thing?

I once consulted an Irish GP and couldn't understand a word that he said. I also can't fathom what some of them are saying when they bombard you with medical terminology.

How did this chap even get a job if he were so unintelligible?

Well, should it not be the case? If a good grasp of literacy and the spoken word were criteria, that would rule out half of the so called indiginous population.

No, my point is that they shouldn't, however, they should be encouraged to learn the language and be given incentives to do so.

I once consulted an Irish GP and couldn't understand a word that he said. I also can't fathom what some of them are saying when they bombard you with medical terminology.

How did this chap even get a job if he were so unintelligible?

My bold.

I thought the incentive was to integrate:confused:

I think it unreasonable to expect people entering the country to have a certain standard of English as a pre-requisite.

I dont. Think of all the money wed save on translators and think how much easier things will be if the dont have the old chestnut of 'no speaky english' to hide behind.

However, they should be able to demonstrate a willingness to learn and given access to a facility where they can learn.

I can demonstrate a willingness to bark like a dog if it gets me something i want.

It doesnt mean i have to actually do it.

Or am even willing to actualy do it.

Archived