Human rights lawyers condemn English tests for spouses coming to UK

I agree with most of what you've written and not knowing or speaking the language in the country of residence is a huge barrier, both culturally and towards integration. I also think, as you have stated, that children growing up in a single non-English speaking household can be disadvantaged to the extent that they arrive at school unable to speak English.

I don't know about economic migrants, but one assumes that if they're coming over to work then they will require a certain level of English language competency otherwise how will they get employment?:huh:

However, in the context of this thread and this discussion about the policies of spouses, I believe it to be unfair.

My bold.

The following seems fair enough, however:

like i said earlier i could open a english school where i wouldnt be short of customers. also you say how could they work if they dont speak the lingo have you not seen the border agency raids on take aways /reataurants/car wash centres etc pull the other one:hihi: what also dosent surprise me is that all these employers are of an ethnic background ( i wonder why)

Much of the debate here appears to be about immigration in general. The OP's post, and the Guardian link were specifically about people marrying and settling here and how they should speak English prior to being granted a visa. If anyone read the article, you'll have seen the main countries where people come from for marriage are all in the Asian sub-continent. That is because there are still many people from Pakistan, India and Bangladesh who have arranged marriages with people from their extended families, or from the areas their families originated from.

Perhaps after several generations of settlement, the question should be raised - why is there still a need to go abroad to find a marriage partner? There is already a concern as these are often close relatives, which is another issue for debate in itself. Other marriages that require a visa come about because people meet, fall in love and marry someone from a different country. Some of those are likely to be here on a work permit or student visa and will already be able to speak English.

In France you won’t see a sign outside a hospital written in every language under the sun. You won’t get the option to have official documents in your own native tongue either. The French position is clear, learn to speak your chosen county's language or you can leave.

Is it any wonder there are so many people in northern France waiting to hitch a lift to the UK.

I have never seen any signage outside hospitals in any language other than English (and had I visited Wales, presumably Welsh). I've visited regularly over the past year and not seen any signage internally in a foreign language.

The only time I can recall seeing foreign languages in hospitals is on the backs of leaflets, where they print the 'to get this leaflet in XXX contact XXX'

I presume these are translated 'on-demand' as it would seem to be more efficient, but I don't know.

Anyone wishing to settle in this country should be able to speak the language and pay a bond to cover any repatriation costs should they become unable to contribute towards society.

I agree with you, anyone coming to this country should be doing so because they want to adopt our way of life, be productive and contribute, not just for what they can scrounge.

The first question should be "What have you got to offer this country?"

The first question should be "What have you got to offer this country?"
If they can understand the question, then they'll probably pass the basic English test ;)

But seriously, on that basis you could find millions of British people who would be unable to answer the question, let alone a few thousand immigrants.

How many British ex pats do you think there are in France who can't speak French?

Most ex-pats are pensioners who take their savings and pensions with them, they don't take locals jobs and only get any benefits that are there by right as EU citizens.

In my job I used to visit many houses occupied by Asians where the husband was out at work, invariably the lady of the house had to go and fetch a child to translate for her, many of the m had teenage children who were born here yet after all those years still had little or no command of the English language (just like Geordies in fact).

If they can understand the question, then they'll probably pass the basic English test ;)

But seriously on that basis you could find millions of British people who would be unable to answer the question, let alone a few thousand immigrants.

So what are you suggesting that you take a questionaire on to the maternity ward at Jessops?

Most ex-pats are pensioners who take their savings and pensions with them, they don't take locals jobs and only get any benefits that are there by right as EU citizens.
The question is about speaking the native language, which presumably doesn't help them converse with people, just as your experiences illustrate:

In my job I used to visit many houses occupied by Asians where the husband was out at work, invariably the lady of the house had to go and fetch a child to translate for her, many of the m had teenage children who were born here yet after all those years still had little or no command of the English language (just like Geordies in fact).

Archived