25000 tons of pumpkins for Haloween lanterns whilst 1/2 the world starves!!

I was watching the BBC news a couple of days ago and they had a feature on pumpkin farming. One farm alone was harvesting around 5 millon pumpkins a day purely for the Haloween lantern market. Virtually non of the pumpkins are eaten and yet vast tracts of prime Lincolnshire farmland was turned over to growing them. In this country alone we were producing 25,000 tons of pumpkins destined for the green bins whilst half the world is starving.

In a months time 1000s of tons of wood and rubbish will be burned on Bonfire Night releasing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere despite the fears of global warming.

Do we have our priorities wrong?

I was watching the BBC news a couple of days ago and they had a feature on pumpkin farming. One farm alone was harvesting around 5 millon pumpkins a day purely for the Haloween lantern market. Virtually non of the pumpkins are eaten and yet vast tracts of prime Lincolnshire farmland was turned over to growing them. In this country alone we were producing 25,000 tons of pumpkins destined for the green bins whilst half the world is starving.

In a months time 1000s of tons of wood and rubbish will be burned on Bonfire Night releasing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere despite the fears of global warming.

Do we have our priorities wrong?

No. The richer countries give enough overseas aid to poorer countries. Its not our fault if the money is squandered by bent politicians like Mugabe and people like that

Well, why doesn't the starving half of the world grow pumpkins? - are they too busy fighting wars?

Rhodesia was the 'Bread Basket of Africa'. Then they booted out the farmers, elected Mugabe and made it into the Basket Case of Africa. Whose fault was that?

If 1st world countries mustn't interfere in the internal affairs of 3rd world countries, then should those 3rd world countries not take responsibility for the way they are run?

No. The richer countries give enough overseas aid to poorer countries. Its not our fault if the money is squandered by bent politicians like Mugabe and people like that

Agree with you 100%.

Look how much India has spent on the opening ceremony alone for

the 'Commonwealth Games', yet last week on TV we were being asked to adopt a poor starving Indian child.

How many of you are aware that there are more Billionaires in India than in th UK?

My friend worked in a bakery at one time, they threw out loads of bread every day, they told the shelter a few doors away to take all they wanted, they didn't , they wanted it delivered to them, too lazy to gofetch it :hihi:

Pumpkins are lovely. Send 'em my way for pumpkin soup and pumpkin pie. MMMMM

But it IS a pity they're not eaten. So much waste...

I'm with you Karis. I've got 20 homegrown ones finishing ripening as I write. Pumpkin and chilli soup, mmmmmmm.

Archived