25000 tons of pumpkins for Haloween lanterns whilst 1/2 the world starves!!

Well, why doesn't the starving half of the world grow pumpkins? - are they too busy fighting wars?

Rhodesia was the 'Bread Basket of Africa'. Then they booted out the farmers, elected Mugabe and made it into the Basket Case of Africa. Whose fault was that?

If 1st world countries mustn't interfere in the internal affairs of 3rd world countries, then should those 3rd world countries not take responsibility for the way they are run?

I completely agree with you except it was Mugabe who kicked out the farmers to turn attention away from his corruption and failings.

Rhodesia is a prime example of a country that had it all and lost it, sadly the Africans as with many other countrys around the world who claim to be the "Same as us" make a complete mess of their independence and then have a cheek to repeatedly come begging each time they've squander the aid sent to them.

I was watching the BBC news a couple of days ago and they had a feature on pumpkin farming. One farm alone was harvesting around 5 millon pumpkins a day purely for the Haloween lantern market. Virtually non of the pumpkins are eaten and yet vast tracts of prime Lincolnshire farmland was turned over to growing them. In this country alone we were producing 25,000 tons of pumpkins destined for the green bins whilst half the world is starving.

In a months time 1000s of tons of wood and rubbish will be burned on Bonfire Night releasing tons of CO2 into the atmosphere despite the fears of global warming.

Do we have our priorities wrong?

If the 'vast tracts of prime Linconshire farmland' weren't used for growing pumpkins, what do you think would be growing instead, why would it automatically make a difference to the developing world, and do you think those farmers should be growing crops to give away free to the poor of the world (before going bankrupt themselves)?

If the 'vast tracts of prime Linconshire farmland' weren't used for growing pumpkins, what do you think would be growing instead, why would it automatically make a difference to the developing world, and do you think those farmers should be growing crops to give away free to the poor of the world (before going bankrupt themselves)?

They could be growing wheat to feed Englishmen.

How dare those selfish scum have the gall to make a profit!! :mad:

Employing people, contributing to the economy & running businesses ...... Who do they think they are!??!!

;)

My sister makes a damn good pumpkin pie but soup is best left to me the last one she made tasted like wallpaper paste.

I agree that it is bloody stupid for anyone who buys a pumpkin to just throw away the innards once scooped out, that's tantamount to scooping out the inside of a potato and just keeping the skin "daft".

Archived