Fox Street slum clearance

I was born at 151 Fox St in 1933 and and lived there until just after the blitz. They didn't call it a slum then. I had a quick look on Streetview and it doesn't look all that different now. Number 151 was one of the little terraced houses just up from Andover St on the left, now new maisonette type dwellings. The bungalows across the road have replaced terraced houses too. I guess all the replaced terraced houses had deteriorated to such an extent that they had to be demolished. Who's to judge?

I was on my way from Carlisle to Southampton sometime in the late 70's early 80's and made a detour just to have a look at Fox St and the old terraces were still there then, looking quite tidy. The worst places were Woodside Lane, Birley Street, Fitzallen St, Reginald St and the like, I think they'd gone then, but the people who'd lived there had still tried to make them half decent.

Seems to me that the planners in Sheffield had a fixation about terraced houses. If it's a terrace, flatten it.

No, there's no way Fox St could ever be termed a slum.

Thank you for that I am currently doing my family tree and have found relative living there in 1950's, also they live at 78 Macro Street, The wellington Pub, don't suppose you knew are of the residents there? They were Ma Easy, and George Nelson, ring any bells. I think you are correct about how things are generalised with the "slum clearance" as it just made things easier to get rid of thanks again

Archived