Tories scrapping child benefit for people who earn over £44,000

Is it? Thanks matey. I knew I must be going wrong somewhere, as the way I worked it out, just on the threshold, the 'poor' people were actually coming out with £6k pa more than the 'rich' ones. Glad to find out I had me decimal point in the wrong place. ;)

Good job I don't work with money, int it?

I see what you did there :D You worked out the whole of the amount out at 40% instead of just the £1 ... damned good job you don't work with money, yea! x

Depends where their spending-priorities lie, doesn't it? All my money goes on bills, and my son. Are you telling me that someone who earns 40k but is living the same lifestyle as me, for example, has the same disposable income as me? I think not... and if not, then I ask the question 'where is their non-disposable income going?'

It could quite easily happen, two professionals earning 100k between them, couple of grand a month mortgage nice car and kids in a nice school and then they split.

The remaining parent could be left with very little disposable income or as you say “ All my money goes on bills, and my son”, not all single mums live in one bedroom council flats but they still have bills to pay.

Before the envious ones suggest that in my example they could sell their house and car and take their kid out of a private school those on lower incomes could cancel the sky and stop drinking and smoking but they don’t do they.

I am not earning anywhere near 44K but I am not :mrgreen: either.

It could quite easily happen, two professionals earning 100k between them, couple of grand a month mortgage nice car and kids in a nice school and then they split.

The remaining parent could be left with very little disposable income or as you say “ All my money goes on bills, and my son”, not all single mums live in one bedroom council flats but they still have bills to pay.

Before the envious ones suggest that in my example they could sell their house and car and take their kid out of a private school those on lower incomes could cancel the sky and stop drinking and smoking but they don’t do they.

I am not earning anywhere near 44K but I am not :mrgreen: either.

the remaining parent should be getting money from the other parent anyway:confused:

failing that yes they should sell the car or house as they can no longer afford it. It wouldnt occur to me to remain in a house I couldn't afford. I wouldn't be thinking I should be paid money to continue living here by people who cant afford a house.:loopy:

also if they are paying for their kids school they could move them into the state school system

I think this must be a joke argument? You are talking about rich people not even middle earners

. I wouldn't be thinking I should be paid money to continue living here by people who cant afford a house.:loopy:

I think this must be a joke argument?

Just remind me how many millions Sheffield council is owed in unpaid rent ………. Yep you’re right people shouldn’t live in houses if they cant afford them. :roll:

Got to go to work now at my 16K a year job but hay-o don’t get bitten by the green eyed monster, if people are on 40K good luck to them.

Just remind me how many millions Sheffield council is owed in unpaid rent ………. Yep you’re right people shouldn’t live in houses if they cant afford them. :roll:

we aren't talking about rent you were talking about a rich persons mortgage? Its better that the rich person moves to a smaller house they can pay for than have people who cant afford to buy funding that persons mortgage:rolleyes:

It wouldnt occur to me to remain in a house I couldn't afford. I wouldn't be thinking I should be paid money to continue living here by people who cant afford a house. also if they are paying for their kids school they could move them into the state school system
The payment we're discussing here isn't housing benefit though. It's a payment given to all parents (at the moment) to encourage them to have children and help with the associated costs. It's meant to be used for the children's needs. Using the child benefit to help finance their education seems a good use of it to me.

The payment we're discussing here isn't housing benefit though. It's a payment given to all parents (at the moment) to encourage them to have children and help with the associated costs. It's meant to be used for the children's needs. Using the child benefit to help finance their education seems a good use of it to me.

but lots of people think it shouldnt be universal because its a waste

we aren't talking about rent you were talking about a rich persons mortgage? Its better that the rich person moves to a smaller house they can pay for than have people who cant afford to buy funding that persons mortgage:rolleyes:

I'm not sure child benefit gets taken into account by the banks when they are OK'ing a mortgage application...:)

Archived