Tories scrapping child benefit for people who earn over £44,000

Now child benefit will be means tested.

No it won't be. Apparently there will be a tick box to declare if you are a higher rate tax payer.

However, as it's being presented at the moment it's a fillet steak of an idea that looks like a dogs breakfast. It's to be hoped that somebody pulls their finger out and tidies it up because the double income household factor makes it appear ridiculous.

I was once told (on here I believe) that that was the reason it was applied universally in the first place as it's a nightmare to administrate as well as extremely resource intensive. This is presumably why they've lumped everyone into the two top income tax brackets rather than coming up with say a figure of an annual salary *plucks figure out of the air* £90k.

£44k is bugger all to support a family on in London and those in the South East will be hit the hardest.

Tell me how many London families have only one working parent on 44k+ - not many i bet.

Not necessarily, there will be a lot of redundancies in the public sector, local government, university sector, NHS and civil service.
If they agreed to work for what they are actually worth to the British economy,there would not need to be that many redundancies!

Tell me how many London families have only one working parent on 44k+ - not many i bet.

You'd be surprised, the costs of childcare are so prohibitive as well as very hard to come by that a lot of couples just don't bother and one party takes a career break whilst the kids are pre-school.

No it won't be. Apparently there will be a tick box to declare if you are a higher rate tax payer.

However, as it's being presented at the moment it's a fillet steak of an idea that looks like a dogs breakfast. It's to be hoped that somebody pulls their finger out and tidies it up because the double income household factor makes it appear ridiculous.

They have until the review on the 20th (is this the right date?) so hopefully they can add a good sauce :)

You're spot-on for once Tony:thumbsup:

Archived