Tories scrapping child benefit for people who earn over £44,000

By the same reasoning, how can it be right that a couple earning £40,000 apiece don't pay higher rate tax yet a household with one earner on £45,000 does?
You're quite right. It's not :twisted:

Are you advocating tax allowances for households as opposed to individual earners? In that case, would a household comprising 4 adults (2 parents and 19 year old twins living at home) all working, share one tax allowance between the lot of them? - I don't suppose that would be very popular.
And yet it works fine in many other EU countries. Not exactly as you put it, but wherein the household total income/living conditions status is factored in.

Whereby the 'disparity' (of both your examples above) is taken into account and results in fairer taxation across the board.

IMO, cutting child benefit for high-rate tax payers is a move in the right direction.
It is and it is not.

It is, because the State stipends must be cut back, one way or the other.

It is not because (i) considering the numbers involved, it's a token measure, (ii) considering the precision-targeted audience (and the inequity of the measure), it will likely result in more economical harm than savings accomplished and (iii) it's a clear signal of what more is to come, which fully conforms with what has already been for too long: the better you do, the more we'll take from you (so why bother), the less you do, the more we'll house/feed/warm/health/entertain you (so why bother).

It's a self-fulfilling vicious circle, which neither this measure, nor the £26k cap do enough to break.

Why not? They were supposed to be benefits for ALL people.

The problem with this country is that people who have worked hard and are doing well for themselves are looked down upon, whilst the couple of scruffy gits sat on their sofa in the front garden drinking beer at 9am Monday morning are given all the assistance they may ever require.

but why should everyone get a benefit-its completely stupid!:loopy:

well we can't afford it anymore so thats that. The best option is to target what little resources we have left at the poor. I find it hilarious labour actually arguing they should NOT do this! Did I wake up in some sort of parallel universe?

I concur, I feel like Im fighting on the wrong side:hihi:

maybe it just shows how "poor" the poor people are. What I would give for a wage that high, and I have a very good job!!

so you disagree with all cuts. In that case no wonder you dont like this one. We should be throwing money into the streets!!

Where did I say that then?

The point is this is a taster; dip your toe in the water time, the real agenda as yet to come.

I am no politician and I don’t have the answers but I am no fool either, with some of the replies on here you get the feeling that too many people think “ I not bothered as it will not effect me”, all I am saying is WAKE UP.

Where did I say that then?

The point is this is a taster; dip your toe in the water time, the real agenda as yet to come.

I am no politician and I don’t have the answers but I am no fool either, with some of the replies on here you get the feeling that too many people think “ I not bothered as it will not effect me”, all I am saying is WAKE UP.

im fully awake thanks

would you rather they cut child benefit to families who get £44k or whatever or cut winter fuel allowance etc for pensioners?

What about so called “rich” pensioners, as I sad earlier one you start cutting universal benefits where does it end?

Like the fee milk that they backtracked on some things should be sacrosanct.

Archived