Tories scrapping child benefit for people who earn over £44,000

What about so called “rich” pensioners, as I sad earlier one you start cutting universal benefits where does it end?

Like the fee milk that they backtracked on some things should be sacrosanct.

rich pensioners shouldnt get benefits either. Benefits should be for the people in dire need, not for people who can afford everything they need and more.

What really annoys me about this is that I'm single. I earn between 16 and 17 grand a year. I don't get tax credits, I have no children so I don't get family credits and I don't get housing benefit. Yet all I've heard all day is people earning 3 times what I do complaining about how hard it is for them to budget. If you can't budget 44,000 then what the hell are you doing earning it and if you need benefits to afford kids should you really be having them? I can't afford a car, guess what, I don't have one.

I'm sick of people constantly going on about what they deserve. Fact is none of us deserve an easy ride.

Personally though I do think that child benefit should also only be paid out on the first two kids. This would encourage a like for like replacement on humans. The planet's already got enough of us.

100% agree with you. Noone deserves anything, you should be grateful for everything you have. Virtually noone in this country is poor.

The funniest part is that we are both paying out everywhere and receiving nothing back which is fine as long as I am not actually paying for a richer persons sky package/mortgage etc when I cant afford these things for myself. My tax should go to the poorest people and hospitals, schools, public transport.

Not to a household that compared to me is rich already

I think you should remember that these people earning above £44000 are paying a helluva lot more tax than you and have the responsibility of bringing up the next generation so that you can have a life in your old age. I spent most of my working life contributing to things which did not benefit me directly but allowed me to live in a decent society. The last thing I would wish to see in this country is anything resembling the USA model where people only count if they have money.

The idea that the next generation will look after your old age only works from a monetary perspective. If you look at the bigger issue, food/water shortages housing etc on our tiny island, the less children the better.

How about this?

1. No parent is a higher rate taxpayer. Receive 100% of child benefit.

2. One parent is a higher rate taxpayer. Receive 50% of child benefit.

3. Two parents are higher rate taxpayers. Receive 0% of child benefit.

Simples.

How about just make it payable for 2 kids?

How about this?

1. No parent is a higher rate taxpayer. Receive 100% of child benefit.

2. One parent is a higher rate taxpayer. Receive 50% of child benefit.

3. Two parents are higher rate taxpayers. Receive 0% of child benefit.

Simples.

What happens when the mother is on benefits

The father of the first child has done a runner

The father of the second child is doing time

The father of the 3rd child is on benefits

The father of the 4th child is unknown

The father of the 5th child has children by 4 other people?

It was quite funny yesterday listening to Yvette Cooper (Labour) telling us how awful it was that people with a £44k salary had lots of outgoings and this cut would be simply horrid for them.

As many people have said - in Sheffield its a lot of money. In London it isn't because the housing costs are so high. Its quite common to pay £2000 a month rent for modest housing. You might say move out of London, but it your family is there, ther job is there and your whole life is there, why should you move out.

As predicted the tax break the tories are planning will cushion the blow to top rate tax payers - the tories weren't going to let it stand, but I was surprised the tax change was announced so soon...not exactly displaying the courage of their convictions.

I can't think of a reason for not paying 100% of the benefit in your example there.

1. No parent is a higher rate taxpayer. Receive 100% of child benefit. :simples:

Archived