Tories scrapping child benefit for people who earn over £44,000

This is an ill thought out policy. If they are going to put an upper limit on it then surely it should be based on household income, mainly due to the way a coupld could both be working & earninng £76,000 & still qualify.

This does not affect me as we are below it but I have friends who will be affected. One who has worked hard for several years & finally gained his promotion. He is just slightly over but will lose CHB for 4 children so will be considerably worse off.

No one has children just so then can claim CHB but equally there was no hint that this was going to be removed so people have come to rely on it

£44,000 is not a huge income for a family with 4 children. We are not that far off & by no means lead an affluent lifestyle.

post 289 answers your point

But if you couldn't afford to have 4 children, then why have them? (No doubt the answer will be ,("Well my partner has one and I have three or vice versa?")

I didn't say we couldn't afford to have 4 children, although with the present government both our jobs are under threat. I was merely trying to point out that a salary of £44,000 is a good income but is by no means a sign of huge wealth, particularly for a large family.

I didn't say we couldn't afford to have 4 children, although with the present government both our jobs are under threat. I was merely trying to point out that a salary of £44,000 is a good income but is by no means a sign of huge wealth, particularly for a large family.

It is such a large income that successive governments have decreed that you should pay about half your income above that figure to other people in tax and ni. So yes it is a high income.

With Osbourne hitting his core support like he has I am now wondering what he has in store for the rest of us.

Anyone with ideas ?

We are all in this (Brown mess) together. Everyone is going to suffer because of 13 years of mismanagement of the economy. We have to reduce the deficit. The rich have already had their tax rates raised to punitive levels, the high income earners have had their CB cut, the middle ones will suffer a little also but not as much as the higher earners, the lower income workers will no doubt have to help repair the damage done a little - hopefully the unproductive non-working benefit claiming feckless people will not be supported as much.

The Blair-Brown axis bribed people with their own money over 13 years. Over-spending, bloating the unproductive public sector, encouraging unmarried couples through benefits, encouraging people to be on benefits rather than working, allowing immigrants from all over the world to settle - filling jobs whilst leaving people to languish on the dole.

Hopeless hopeless hopeless.

We are all in this (Brown mess) together. Everyone is going to suffer because of 13 years of mismanagement of the economy. We have to reduce the deficit. The rich have already had their tax rates raised to punitive levels, the high income earners have had their CB cut, the middle ones will suffer a little also but not as much as the higher earners, the lower income workers will no doubt have to help repair the damage done a little - hopefully the unproductive non-working benefit claiming feckless people will not be supported as much.

The Blair-Brown axis bribed people with their own money over 13 years. Over-spending, bloating the unproductive public sector, encouraging unmarried couples through benefits, encouraging people to be on benefits rather than working, allowing immigrants from all over the world to settle - filling jobs whilst leaving people to languish on the dole.

Hopeless hopeless hopeless.

Evening Ron, have you been in Puerto Banús? I've not noticed you on the forum for a while.

This is an ill thought out policy. If they are going to put an upper limit on it then surely it should be based on household income, mainly due to the way a coupld could both be working & earninng £76,000 & still qualify. ...

If you accept that argument, should income tax be based on household income? (In some European countries that is effectively the case.)

A single parent with 1 child would pay tax at the high rate if (s)he earned more than £44k. A couple (only one of whom was working) with one child would pay tax at the high rate if the wage earner earned more than £44k, but a couple with no children (be they married, in a civil partnership or simply cohabiting) could earn up to £88k before they became liable to pay tax at the higher rate.

Should that be changed? Shouldn't the total household income be considered to determine the high rate threshhold?

If you accept that argument, should income tax be based on household income? (In some European countries that is effectively the case.)

A single parent with 1 child would pay tax at the high rate if (s)he earned more than £44k. A couple (only one of whom was working) with one child would pay tax at the high rate if the wage earner earned more than £44k, but a couple with no children (be they married, in a civil partnership or simply cohabiting) could earn up to £88k before they became liable to pay tax at the higher rate.

Should that be changed? Shouldn't the total household income be considered to determine the high rate threshhold?

This would take a lot of administration and hence cost the taxpayer a lot more. I suppose it would create some more public sector non-jobs though, with pensions and sick pay and . . . .

Archived