Soldier tells how it really is in Iraq.

Not really - it doesn't mean you know what it is like now, in Iraq.

I'm not denigrating your service, but I am sure things have changed since the 60's.

Nothing's changed since the 60s except a different generation in uniform and better weapons. A soldier's life never changes and with the greatest respect to those who serve/have served in Iraq it's not a fraction as bad as Vietnam was.

Iraq is/has been basically a civil war between Sunnis and Shiites, a case of Shiites settling old scores with the Sunnis who were mostly the ruling powers under Saddam, a Sunni himself. Much of the slaughter has been caused by each side. Al Qaeda have also participated and carried out bombings against both groups with the intention of causing as much disruption as possibe and add Iranian covert assistance to the Shiite factions which the Iranian leadership continue to deny and lie about.

The US army is now in the situation of trying to train the Iraqi police and armed forces to take over and has been on the whole succesful at this point and in addition carrying out operations against the Al Qaeda faction who are still active.

The Iraqi Prime Minister recently asked Obama to extend the wthdrawal of US troops beyond 2011 which has put Obama in something of a potentially tricky political situation since he made a firm promise to have troops out next year.

Yes, contarary to your statement i do know about the situation in Iraq and I would also state my opinion that the bloodshed between the Sunnis and Shiites would have been far worse were it not for the presence of the US forces and earlier on the British forces

There is quite a big difference, which I am surprised you don't know as you served in the modern army.

really? my greatgrandad grandad and dad all served when we were all alive and chatted the storys were the same. cold wet tired blood sweat and tears. plus great friends and plenty of laughs. same all of us.

Nothing's changed since the 60s except a different generation in uniform and better weapons. A soldier's life never changes and with the greatest respect to those who serve/have served in Iraq it's not a fraction as bad as Vietnam was.

Iraq is/has been basically a civil war between Sunnis and Shiites, a case of Shiites settling old scores with the Sunnis who were mostly the ruling powers under Saddam, a Sunni himself. Much of the slaughter has been caused by each side. Al Qaeda have also participated and carried out bombings against both groups with the intention of causing as much disruption as possibe and add Iranian covert assistance to the Shiite factions which the Iranian leadership continue to deny and lie about.

The US army is now in the situation of trying to train the Iraqi police and armed forces to take over and has been on the whole succesful at this point and in addition carrying out operations against the Al Qaeda faction who are still active.

The Iraqi Prime Minister recently asked Obama to extend the wthdrawal of US troops beyond 2011 which has put Obama in something of a potentially tricky political situation since he made a firm promise to have troops out next year.

Yes, contarary to your statement i do know about the situation in Iraq and I would also state my opinion that the bloodshed between the Sunnis and Shiites would have been far worse were it not for the presence of the US forces and earlier on the British forces

you guys did have the better soundtracks.

"This video is not available in your country".

So what does he have to say?

It says that international licencing fees have not been paid in your country.

It's a common message on You-Tub.

Which country are you in? - That particular video is not available in Germany. BBC I-player, ITV's equivalent, Sony videos and many videos from US sources give the same message. - It's nothing to do with the subject.

Iraq is/has been basically a civil war between Sunnis and Shiites, a case of Shiites settling old scores with the Sunnis who were mostly the ruling powers under Saddam, a Sunni himself...

Don't forget the Kurds. The Brits promised them an 'Independent Kurdistan' when the Treaty of Sèvres was signed in 1920.

The Kurds haven't forgotten that.

Don't forget the Kurds. The Brits promised them an 'Independent Kurdistan' when the Treaty of Sèvres was signed in 1920.

The Kurds haven't forgotten that.

Giving the Kurds independence creates a problem with Turkey a western ally of long standing. There is a large Kurdish population on the Turkish side of the border and the Turkish government are understandably concerned that if Kurdistan became an independemt state then the Turkish Kurds would press their demands that they and their part of Turkey be allowed to join it.

For western governments this is also a problem as it's definitely not in their interests to alienate a pro western ally and friend and a fellow member of NATO

Archived