As a man I am sick of being discriminated against with insurance

So you'd agree insurance is an unfair tax that discriminates particularly against young men and men in general...

The accepted translation would be that car insurance is a servive that you have to buy, which discriminates against risk. Lets face facts, not all discrimination is wrong, morally and/or legally.

You need to look up the difference between an individual mandate and a tax. An individual mandate is a requirement by a government that certain individual citizens purchase a good or service.

I think that insurers rip everyone off, they do everything possible to discourage people from claiming and bump up premiums significantly if you ever do need to. I'm not sure that I'd describe it as a tax, however.

On a family forum it should be know as the asterix tax ;)

The accepted translation would be that car insurance is a servive that you have to buy, which discriminates against risk. Lets face facts, not all discrimination is wrong, morally and/or legally.

You need to look up the difference between an individual mandate and a tax. An individual mandate is a requirement by a government that certain individual citizens purchase a good or service.

It is a TAX...............

does anyone really think if the insurance companies were forced to stop discriminating against women, premiums would fall? They would just increase to the level of male premiums.

As a side note, I'm sure insurance companies are required to publish the data leading them to the lower premiums for women - it has to be demonstrable that the increased premium is proportionate to the increased risk.

Car insurance is a tax. Ask yourself what is a tax.

It's an amount of money that you must pay, enforced by the government and punishable by law.

Try driving without it, you'll be arrested, then get a fine, points, removal of license, jail, or any combination of them.

You missed out the phrase "to the government." Tax is collected by the government; car insurance is not.

So you'd agree insurance is an unfair tax that discriminates particularly against young men and men in general...

It discriminates only against groups of people who are shown to be more likely to claim. Even then, you would struggle to prove that it is discrimination - those groups receive far more insurance payouts than other groups.

You missed out the phrase "to the government." Tax is collected by the government; car insurance is not.

It is enforced by the government. If you don't pay the tax, you are punished. A tax need not be collected by the government.

Archived