York and lancs regiment

But would they? I see graves from WWII in my local cemetery and they aren't looked after. Unfortunately, if there are no living relatives then the authorities do not bother.

well as the trustees of a fund that could have sorted this would not do anything, i dout the local council will. ill bet anything they are all wanting a photo in the paper the 11th of the 11th though. im not kidding this is disgusting.

well as the trustees of a fund that could have sorted this would not do anything, i dout the local council will. ill bet anything they are all wanting a photo in the paper the 11th of the 11th though. im not kidding this is disgusting.

I admit, it stinks, that graves are left to ruin and that includes civilian graves too. If it means so much to you, why not set up a trust to protect the grave. Lobby the council etc and see what can be done. Furthermore, contact the RBL to see what help they can offer.

I highly doubt the Star will use a picture of this grave given the serviceman died way before the start of WWI.

with so few VC holders associated with sheffield you would think the graves would be looked after.

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffieldvcs.htm

Not really. This chap got his VC many years ago in a conflict/occupation that is not really relevant outside the days of the Empire. And besides, the chap was not even from Sheffield.

Not really. This chap got his VC many years ago in a conflict/occupation that is not really relevant outside the days of the Empire. And besides, the chap was not even from Sheffield.

he was in a sheffield regiment and a fund set up by his regiment when he was adjudant has been sitting there until its trustees decided to give 50k away to non military charity.

a VC is a VC its always relevant or should be.

he was in a sheffield regiment and a fund set up by his regiment when he was adjudant has been sitting there until its trustees decided to give 50k away to non military charity.

a VC is a VC its always relevant or should be.

So, your beef is the fact that a non military trust has been given the money? Although, if you read the Star article, it states that some of the money will be set aside for........

'Hallamshires' trustees have created a second endowment fund with SYCF, worth £20,000, to support the local branches of services charities Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association and the Army Benevolent Fund.'

There has been two world wars since the death of this chap. I think they are more relevant and important to remember.

So, your beef is the fact that a non military trust has been given the money? Although, if you read the Star article, it states that some of the money will be set aside for........

'Hallamshires' trustees have created a second endowment fund with SYCF, worth £20,000, to support the local branches of services charities Soldiers Sailors Airmen and Families Association and the Army Benevolent Fund.'

There has been two world wars since the death of this chap. I think they are more relevant and important to remember.

i think you are wrong. why give money from a military fund to non military fund? also time and wars have nothing to do with it. holders of the VC's graves should all be looked after. funds were there to do it. fund george lambert paid into and probably help set up. now its been given away to civveys. its disgusting. this fund by the way is unfindable on the net, well hidden away, why? george lamberts grave has been in a state for years. why?

ill bet its because he was not born into the officer class, like the trustees!!!!

i think you are wrong. why give money from a military fund to non military fund? also time and wars have nothing to do with it. holders of the VC's graves should all be looked after. funds were there to do it. fund george lambert paid into and probably help set up. now its been given away to civveys. its disgusting. this fund by the way is unfindable on the net, well hidden away, why? george lamberts grave has been in a state for years. why?

ill bet its because he was not born into the officer class, like the trustees!!!!

Why not?! The military unit in question no longer exists therefore the money had to go somewhere. Besides, the army decided where best the money would benefit. Do you have actually have any evidence that George paid into the fund? Or in fact, that he would have objected to the fund being donated to a local trust?

Why should VC holders be treat any different to anyone else who has died in combat. There are no actual privileges bestowed to VC holders. The only thing they are entitled to, other than having VC after their name. So again, why should this grave be treat differently to any other grave in that cemetery?

Archived