York and lancs regiment

i wonder if they would allow a former member of the 84th york and lancs to be buried in such an excellent location.

A question that might properly be addressed to the Sheffield Cathedral group who can be found here in the Sheffield interest groups section of the forum.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/Shame-of-39forgotten39-city-war.6387821.jp

saw this a while ago, thought it was awful. as the regiment was disbanded i thought it was down to lack of money.

then came across this end of last week.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/TA-donation-will-help-community.6560317.jp

the very fund to provide the cash was available the whole time. seems the sun has gone down for way to long on this soldiers grave. WE WILL REMEMBER THEM?

ok, this is the situation so far. ive sent an email to jonw@sycf.org.uk to get an explanation as to why this fund did not take action on this matter. please feel free to do the same. ive got an estimate as to the costs of moving the grave it stands at 4 to 5 k. im emailing possible locations for a new grave site. im trying to find an image of george can anyone help with that?

i wonder if they would allow a former member of the 84th york and lancs to be buried in such an excellent location.

To be quite correct it is 'The York & Lancaster Regiment' 65/84 regiments of foot.

Surely we should have a militarty cemetry in the UK.

There is a military cemetry in Cyprus at Dhekelia where three members of 1 Y&L who died on the last overseas posting of the regiment are buried.

As a bandsman in 1 Y&L I took part in the ceremonial funerals of two of those men.

I took part in the disbanding parade when the colours were laid up in Sheffields cathedral, prior to enlisting in 1 Y&L I served in the Hallamshire TA Battalion.

To be quite correct it is 'The York & Lancaster Regiment' 65/84 regiments of foot.

There is at least one, Bassman - at Brookwood. I doubt that very many people are aware of its existence, though.

In the past, most British servicemen who died in wartime were buried in the country in which they died and there are numerous well-tended cemeteries and memorials in many countries.

Servicemen who died in peacetime (along with those who died in recent conflicts) are usually buried in civilian cemeteries near their homes.

ok, this is the situation so far. ive sent an email to jonw@sycf.org.uk to get an explanation as to why this fund did not take action on this matter. please feel free to do the same. ive got an estimate as to the costs of moving the grave it stands at 4 to 5 k. im emailing possible locations for a new grave site. im trying to find an image of george can anyone help with that?

Perhaps Brookwood might be a suitable final resting place for Geroge's remains, Sarasen. - You might want to contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and see if they can help.

There is a military cemetry in Cyprus at Dhekelia where three members of 1 Y&L who died on the last overseas posting of the regiment are buried.

As a bandsman in 1 Y&L I took part in the ceremonial funerals of two of those men.

I took part in the disbanding parade when the colours were laid up in Sheffields cathedral, prior to enlisting in 1 Y&L I served in the Hallamshire TA Battalion.

dhekelia, had some good times in cyprus on un postings.

why did the regiment disband?

There is at least one, Bassman - at Brookwood. I doubt that very many people are aware of its existence, though.

In the past, most British servicemen who died in wartime were buried in the country in which they died and there are numerous well-tended cemeteries and memorials in many countries.

Servicemen who died in peacetime (along with those who died in recent conflicts) are usually buried in civilian cemeteries near their homes.

Perhaps Brookwood might be a suitable final resting place for Geroge's remains, Sarasen. - You might want to contact the Commonwealth War Graves Commission and see if they can help.

thanks ill get in touch with both.

My Granddad was in the Yorks/Lancs..from 1914 right up to Dunkirk...he won the DCM on the Somme...

some real history comming out on here, my greatgrandad was with the regiment at the somme, he left a lung there. was missing for months thought dead.

some real history comming out on here, my greatgrandad was with the regiment at the somme, he left a lung there. was missing for months thought dead.

My Gdad was though to be missing as well..his name's on a memorial at Oliver's Mount (I think) in Scarborough...it was a surprise when he got home...

It was only after 1966/7 whilst we were in Cyprus that the rules regarding peacetime deaths were changed.

We were rehearsing the military funerals of 3 members of the regiment who'd died after a road accident in the Troodos mountains when the M.O.D annonced that from then onwards the remains of all British servicemen who'd died abroad on an overseas posting were to be repatriated to the UK.

We took the ashes of the widow of one of our regiment who'd died in Cyprus and had them intered in her late husbands Grave at Dhekelia, the garisson padre conducted a short service at the graveside.

Archived