Blue Moon Club, and Esquire

Does anyone remember Blue Moon club on Johnson st (Pete Stringfellows) saw Kinks there around 1965 .Esquire(now leadmill) saw The Who there, and Walker Brothers, also Alexis Korner

The Blue Moon never had the popularity of the Black Cat or The Mojo.

The Esquire was an older established venue which used to have Jazz music earlier on, we (The Drumbeats) played there in 1964.

strange but a film crew filmed me dancing at the esquire where we used to go when the mojo was shut, usually fridays/always a second rate type of place black paint walls were not mod enough in those days but was cheaper than mojo

Had many happy hours in the blue moon club. I also saw the kinks there. Can't remember if they were the first major band to play there or not. I remember when Pete Stringfellow starting having a mime contest on Friday nights. I think the prize was free entry to the club on another night. I won it a couple of times mimeing to Elvis, and then won it mimeing to Screaming Lord Sutch. Not exactly karaoke but it was great fun at the time.

Happy days.

Had many happy hours in the blue moon club. I also saw the kinks there. Can't remember if they were the first major band to play there or not. I remember when Pete Stringfellow starting having a mime contest on Friday nights. I think the prize was free entry to the club on another night. I won it a couple of times mimeing to Elvis, and then won it mimeing to Screaming Lord Sutch. Not exactly karaoke but it was great fun at the time.

Happy days.

Our group 'The Drumbeats' supported 'Screaming Lord Sutch' at the 'Black cat Club' in 1963.

Were the Drumbeats a local band?

Yes we were all from Sheffield in the original lineup.

Ian the original singer worked at Neepsend Gasworks for a while with Jo Cocker.

The Drumbeats first ever gig was at the Black Cat Club around Septemberish 1962, the club had only been going for a short while when we played there.

During the following 12 months we played over 200 hundred gigs.

Here's a shot of the final lineup in 1964.

35ivewk.jpg

met my husband of 45years there 1964 sadly he passed away in may but we had some good nites also went to mojo went to see Pretty Things one nite but went outside and fainted before they came on banged my head on wall and Peter Stringfellow took me to northern general had to have 5 stitches then got taxi home to Lowedges cost me 10shilling a fortune then days my dad went mad

Archived