Charity bag theft

On look north they are saying charity bags are being stolen by thieves.

There's no real evidence, just a drop in the amount of bags being collected.

Would people really pinch second hand clothes on a large scale (I can understand the odd homeless person pulling clothes out of a clothes bank, especially at winter), but to sell on for profit? You can get brand new stuff for practically nothing at primark.

Apparently, the clothes are sold on in eastern europe, where they can be sold for a tidy sum, or so it was said on today's news.

It's possible, I know clothes are more expensive there than here, but you could buy them new and send them over, bringing fags back on the return trip.

I'd guess more people are keeping or selling their clothes rather than giving them to charities which spend far too much on employing people to collect money.

It's possible, I know clothes are more expensive there than here, but you could buy them new and send them over, bringing fags back on the return trip.

I'd guess more people are keeping or selling their clothes rather than giving them to charities which spend far too much on employing people to collect money.

Yes, I think that charities have suffered in terms of donated goods since eBay took off.

II haven't met a thief who cares who owns or the purpose of what they steal. Why would they?

Then again, it may not be thieves. Maybe people are tightening their purse strings and as such less willing to donate items they have paid for.

Apparently, the clothes are sold on in eastern europe, where they can be sold for a tidy sum, or so it was said on today's news.

It is for both of the above that I choose not to use these bags and just donate the money directly if I choose to.

Archived