Here's an Idea!! Take all over 70s into care over the winter

Oh dear I really seem to have offended you! I said like a prison, meaning that they have a hospital wing, social room, kitchens, bathrooms, Tv in cells...ect... why should prisoners be better taken care of! A great number of elderly people are struggling to meet bills and lonely during the winter months, not all are as able as you and your husband.

Surely it all depends on it being a voluntary thing, or are you seriously suggesting that these 'elderly people' (some of whom I know are still working, still having a very rewarding and busy life) should all be grateful to be removed from their home, social life and routine just to make it easier and cheaper to care for them?

I know of one 90 year old who would rap your knuckles with her walking stick at the idea and would resent you taking away her 70 year old son who is her carer.

If your mental image is that all 70 year olds are infirm then you really need to get your head around the idea that at 70 most people have only just retired and would hate to be so limited.

Surely it all depends on it being a voluntary thing, or are you seriously suggesting that these 'elderly people' (some of whom I know are still working, still having a very rewarding and busy life) should all be grateful to be removed from their home, social life and routine just to make it easier and cheaper to care for them?

I know of one 90 year old who would rap your knuckles with her walking stick at the idea and would resent you taking away her 70 year old son who is her carer.

If your mental image is that all 70 year olds are infirm then you really need to get your head around the idea that at 70 most people have only just retired and would hate to be so limited.

As I have said before, some pensioners are not as blessed as others, I am not for one moment saying all 70 year olds are infirm, I know of many that are active and lead busy social lifes. It is not about making care easier and cheaper, it's about caring for those not so well off! If you read my replies, I say about prisoners getting better treatment and care than our elderly folk.

I know 70 year olds who would run rings around some of our idle, benefit scrounging, overweight slobs in their late teens and twenties so the generalisation of taking all over 70s into care needs a little more thought. What bothers me is that we have some pensioners who struggle while the country can afford to accommodate all and sundry who turn up here for a ride on our social benefits :rant:

As I have said before, some pensioners are not as blessed as others, I am not for one moment saying all 70 year olds are infirm, I know of many that are active and lead busy social lifes. It is not about making care easier and cheaper, it's about caring for those not so well off! If you read my replies, I say about prisoners getting better treatment and care than our elderly folk.

If you want to offer them better care then why not just increase the available funding to help them be comfortable in their own homes as they wish to be?

As far as I'm aware, although there is a waiting list for people to get spaces in specific care homes or sheltered housing developments, there isn't a huge waiting list to get into care homes in general, which seem to be the closest alternative to what you're suggesting, so if someone doesn't wish to go into a care home environment then I can't see this whole 6 months of the year thing being taken up.

On top of that, how do you plan on protecting their properties and possessions for the 6 months that they are unoccupied?

There's an answer already in place to helping older people who aren't well off enough to pay for their own existence and it's called income support. I fail to see how uprooting people would be seen as a positive thing if these people already have the option of moving into a position where they can be cared for and have deliberately chosen not to take that up.

How about every year in October, when the weather starts turning colder and the nights start drawing in, we round up everyone aged over 70, take them to a purpose built facility (maybe something like a prison), and look after them until spring time? Now I know alot of people are going to think this an outrageous idea, but my thinking is, they will be warm, fed three meals a day, no bills to pay, company over christmas.. ..ect...
I am sure Cliff. the Stones. and Tom Jones ,Paul McCartney etc, would appreciate some help!

Who would pay for this? Care / nursing home cost anything from £400 - £2000 per week. Where would this money come from?

Where would all the extra staff come from to look after these people? If older people are lonely and struggling to meet bills then perhaps they should consider moving to a sheltered housing complex or an extra care housing scheme.

Who would pay for this? Care / nursing home cost anything from £400 - £2000 per week. Where would this money come from?

Where would all the extra staff come from to look after these people? If older people are lonely and struggling to meet bills then perhaps they should consider moving to a sheltered housing complex or an extra care housing scheme.

maybe it could come out of the council tax that you pay seeing as you dont care where it goes

maybe it could come out of the council tax that you pay seeing as you dont care where it goes

the council tax I currently pay goes towards existing services, new services would need an increase in the amount paid. The suggestion is also un-workable and unaffordable and not required.

Also, what is your problem with my posts? you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with them and their content. Perhaps common sense and realism isn't something you are used to. Perhaps the fact i've not been brain washed into thinking public services are bad and to blame for every problem in the country upsets you in some way.

How about every year in October, when the weather starts turning colder and the nights start drawing in, we round up everyone aged over 70, take them to a purpose built facility (maybe something like a prison), and look after them until spring time? Now I know alot of people are going to think this an outrageous idea, but my thinking is, they will be warm, fed three meals a day, no bills to pay, company over christmas.. ..ect...

Round them all up and put them in a purpose built facility ...? They already have this and the facility in place, its called Wetherspoons!

Archived