Disproving the Existence of God

No, evil is within the heart and mind. If it was outside of you people would walk on by and ignore it, but it is an inner driving force and because it is a part of you it is accepted by you.

So then, if the evil doesn't come from an external source, it follows that we were created with evil within us.

No, evil is within the heart and mind. If it was outside of you people would walk on by and ignore it, but it is an inner driving force and because it is a part of you it is accepted by you.

By that definition. So is good. And there's an awful lot of good in the world, marred by a few stupid people.

Self development is only advanced through accepting all aspects of your personality, both the light and the dark (evil is such a hysterical term, few people are actually evil, if any).

It's the denial of any part of yourself that causes the problems. Make peace with your darkness, accept your brain is trying to sabotage your happiness and you'll be a lot better, stronger, and wiser.

I heard this morning one of the freed Chilean miners saying how their belief in God had helped them. Now you might think if teh will of God can get them out, then the will of God got them there in the first place. My point is, if this guy after being stock in a hole 2000m under ground for two months still has faith in God, what purpose does trying to disprove the existance of God serve? And since it is something held by the person within them, can it ever be "disproved" anyway?

My bold.

That would simply be further proof that god doesn't exist for if, as you say, 'it's something held within them' then we already have explanations for what that is through our understanding of how the mind works through the process of psychology and neuroscience.

My bold.

That would simply be further proof that god doesn't exist for if, as you say, 'it's something held within them' then we already have explanations for what that is through our understanding of how the mind works through the process of psychology and neuroscience.

But to what end, what purpose would it serve? Can the comfort taken in "God" be replaced with explanations of psychology and neuroscience?

I heard this morning one of the freed Chilean miners saying how their belief in God had helped them. Now you might think if teh will of God can get them out, then the will of God got them there in the first place. My point is, if this guy after being stock in a hole 2000m under ground for two months still has faith in God, what purpose does trying to disprove the existance of God serve? And since it is something held by the person within them, can it ever be "disproved" anyway?

Everybody’s god is different to everybody else’s god, individually crafted in the minds of each individual to appear rational to each mind that created it. The ultimate sock-puppet. Such a creation is pretty immune to any chance of being "disproved".

In addition, nearly everybody’s god is the result of significant “investment” on the part of each individual, so there is little incentive to wanting it disproved or an even Gollum like protection of the precious invention.

So why bother trying to disprove such a creation?

Well, if every god was simply the deistic imaginings of evildrneil, or the personal god imagined in most minds, then there would be no need to disprove the un-disprovable because each god’s views would simply be a projection of the host’s views.

The problem stems from the fact that most gods are schizophrenic. Because most hosts place their god in the category of Christian god, Muslim god, or whatever, then suddenly their god is expected to hold contradictory positions. I vividly remember listening to poisonous sermons about the evils of abortion, homosexuality and women going to work, and thinking to myself “that’s not my god he’s talking about”. And yet I was still sat there, in church, silently giving tacit approval.

It’s religion, not non-existent gods, that poisons everything, because it gives tacit approval to horrible ideas from people with self appointed authority.

The penny dropped for most gnu atheists on 9/11. We realised that it was not enough to accept apologists that reply with, "that’s not my god they are representing" in response to terrorists or preachers that promote primitive ideologies.

We’re not out to impossibly disprove the personal god that people thank for their safety, health, exam results or promotion. We are out to disprove, the theistic definition of god, the dictator god, the women hating god, the gay hating god, the science hating god, the sexually repressed god, the suicide bombing god. I’m sorry if believers think it’s their personal god we’re attacking, but whilst they tacitly support it whist going to certain places of worship, it is their god as well.

Who would look to an atheist for the "truth" when they admit they have no knowledge (are ignorant) of God.

And you know that is a lie (I have told you before - repeatedly - that I have read the CoE/Catholic & Methodist bibles attended churches (of the 3 flavours I mentioned) and attended Sunday School - where my mother was one of the teachers. Most atheists have a good understanding of how the religions work and of their religious texts).

It seems to me that you're probably misinterpreting what he said.

He could well be saying that, during his ordeal of being stuck underground for months, not knowing if he'd live or die, that his relationship with God kept him from going nuts, or something of the kind.

You, seem to be interpreting him as saying something like, god will get me out of this; which is a very different thing.

As for why, despite his predicament, he still has faith in God, I expect that is because from his perspective, his relationship with God was real, and, kept him going.

As I've repeatedly said through this thread, a lot of believers consider proof of God's existence to be absolutely irrelavent to their faith- it's atheists who fixate on the proof issue as the prime/only thing worth considering where religion is concerned and, it's deeply irrational to expect religious believers to share that fixation.

As I've repeatedly said through this thread, a lot of believers consider proof of God's existence to be absolutely irrelavent to their faith- it's atheists who fixate on the proof issue as the prime/only thing worth considering where religion is concerned and, it's deeply irrational to expect religious believers to share that fixation.

Atheists lack a belief in god, and that's it.

A small minority might require proof, but to assume we all do is to be ignorant of what atheism is, or what proof and/or evidence is.

Some evidence would be nice.

If I may be allowed to bastardise your quote:

It's the sane who fixate on evidence as the prime/only thing worth considering where decision making is concerned and, it's deeply irrational to expect the insane to share that fixation.

:)

It seems to me that you're probably misinterpreting what he said.

He could well be saying that, during his ordeal of being stuck underground for months, not knowing if he'd live or die, that his relationship with God kept him from going nuts, or something of the kind.

You, seem to be interpreting him as saying something like, god will get me out of this; which is a very different thing.

As for why, despite his predicament, he still has faith in God, I expect that is because from his perspective, his relationship with God was real, and, kept him going.

Thanks onewheeldave, you have put it much better than I did.

Archived