Disproving the Existence of God

The alpha course is designed to convert people, they aren't in the business of debating god's existence rationally.

Well, if rational debate does convert people, is there any harm? Like I said, an internet forum does little other than to entrench people's views, because you can't hold a proper debate. Best to actually speak to someone. Have you actually been to an Alpha?

Well, if rational debate does convert people, is there any harm?
None at all, but you don't seem to have understood me. The people who run aphla courses are not interested in rational debate, and do not engage in it. All they are interested in is trying to get young people back in church.

Like I said, an internet forum does little other than to entrench people's views, because you can't hold a proper debate.
I disagree, I think it is perfectly possible to hold a debate online. In fact in some cases it is better because it means the charisma of the speaker can't play an influence and people cannot get away with lying or misrepresenting others views because there is a written record of the debate for all to see.

Best to actually speak to someone. Have you actually been to an Alpha?
No, but I do know someone that did. It's a conversion course, not a place to discuss and debate things.

None at all, but you don't seem to have understood me. The people who run aphla courses are not interested in rational debate, and do not engage in it. All they are interested in is trying to get young people back in church.

I disagree, I think it is perfectly possible to hold a debate online. In fact in some cases it is better because it means the charisma of the speaker can't play an influence and people cannot get away with lying or misrepresenting others views because there is a written record of the debate for all to see.

No, but I do know someone that did. It's a conversion course, not a place to discuss and debate things.

Well, as I said, having been to an Alpha course myself and led a number of them the past few years, I can attest to the lively debates. Some people agree, some disagree, some start coming to church, other's don't- if it is brainwashing, it's a very poor form :) I also think it's actually much easier to lie or misrepresent views online; much harder to do face to face when you can look someone in the eye and also gauge their body language.

Well, as I said, having been to an Alpha course myself and led a number of them the past few years, I can attest to the lively debates.
I would like to go to an Alpha course, but feel like I wouldn't be welcome. I mean, the chances of them converting me are extremely low and I will ask for evidence for any and all claims that are made to me, so I think I'd just get really annoying really quickly for all the people who are interested. I don't think they'd appreciate my skepticism.

I would like to go to an Alpha course, but feel like I wouldn't be welcome. I mean, the chances of them converting me are extremely low and I will ask for evidence for any and all claims that are made to me, so I think I'd just get really annoying really quickly for all the people who are interested. I don't think they'd appreciate my skepticism.

If the people running the Alpha are doing it well, no amount of scepticism will disrupt the debate. It's probably one of the few places where you can ask awkward or silly questions without causing a kerfuffle. One of the guys from last year's Alpha is still an agnostic, but he comes along on a Sunday and we continue to meet as a group mid-week. Not sure he'll ever change his mind, but that doesn't particularly bother me...

You can see the chaps point though. It does get properly confusing when three or four sets of people are all arguing several points in the one thread.

You can see the chaps point though. It does get properly confusing when three or four sets of people are all arguing several points in the one thread.

No more confusing than when three or four sets of people are arguing in real life though.

I think you have made an argument for structured debate, not necessarily a live one. If we each had set numbers of words and took it in turns properly it could work.

It's just so much harder to grandstand online, and you actually have to rely on making good arguments rather than just being charismatic.

I think you have made an argument for structured debate, not necessarily a live one. If we each had set numbers of words and took it in turns properly it could work.

Only if we were all working live so to speak.

I don't expect an immediate answer to a post on a forum, I go do something else for a bit, so a turn based system would not work.

It should not be that difficult to come up with some software that can un-thread and re-thread a forum thread.

I haven't wasted my time trying to read every post on this stupid and repetitive theme. Nobody on it has proven the existence or non existence of God. If the atheists are trying to convert the faithful they are not very good at it, becoming spiteful in the effort. The evangelists and missionaries aren't very successful either. THere is little wrong in the concepts of the ten commandments however

Well, as I said, having been to an Alpha course myself and led a number of them the past few years, I can attest to the lively debates. Some people agree, some disagree, some start coming to church, other's don't- if it is brainwashing, it's a very poor form :) I also think it's actually much easier to lie or misrepresent views online; much harder to do face to face when you can look someone in the eye and also gauge their body language.

So, being that you lead these courses, we can take it as given that you are on here to promote them, therefore - as I would do with any other sales person - I am going to take everything you say about the product you are trying to promote with a pinch of salt.

Archived