Disproving the Existence of God

The word is (specifically) "image".

It is a complete nonsense to argue in English about any specific words in the Bible, since that is not the language it was written in. Many words do not translate exactly.

I am told that the thing Jesus was nailed up translates better as "tree" and is more likely to have been a straight pole than a cross... Which means the whole Christian church is running around with the wrong symbol.

It is a complete nonsense to argue in English about any specific words in the Bible, since that is not the language it was written in. Many words do not translate exactly.

I am told that the thing Jesus was nailed up translates better as "tree" and is more likely to have been a straight pole than a cross... Which means the whole Christian church is running around with the wrong symbol.

If Jesus had lived and died in modern America, they'd be wearing little electric chairs round their necks.

Which is why I was quite explicit when I said:

The word image in biblical terms means idol.

Which is verifiable in the OED.

Archived