Tattoos and the law

OK so my nephew wants a tat, this is fine, however he is 15, he has told his mum it is legal to have one with parental consent.

The person who said they could do one for him is a freind of his and knows his age. I have seen a tat they have done and it wasnt the best ive seen, that doesnt worry me he can have it covered at a later date, what im more worried about infection etc as it would be done at their house... and the fact his parents do not want him to have it.

So what is the age of consent and could that person be done for bodily harm if they went ahead anyway??

The Tattooing of Minors Act 1969 makes it illegal for anyone to tattoo you if you are under the age of 18.

If this 'tattooist' is prepared to risk being prosecuted, I would suggest he's probably not much cop anyway. A tattoo is for life so your nephew would be well advised to wait until he's 18 and have one done at one of the many good studios the area has to offer.

As well as it being illegal it isn't going to be safe/hygenic. Does your nephew want to risk getting Hepititis or HIV? Obviously its unlikely but still possible.

Is the friend actually qualified with all the certificates or has he just bought the equipment off the net?

i don't know if the person in question has all the relevent qualifications, but from what i've seen i would doubt it very much.

Lol Digsy, i agree but when trying to get a 15 yr old to thats a different matter.

Thanks, i thought i was right but he was arguing the toss, from what i hear it's all got a bit nasty between his parents and the potential tatooist.

I'm sure you have to be 18, no matter what. As some of the other posters have metioned, you should be questioning the ethics and abilities of someone who is willing to tattoo a 15 year old. Take him to a reputable parlour and they will throw him out!

Archived