Tattoos and the law

OK so my nephew wants a tat, this is fine, however he is 15, he has told his mum it is legal to have one with parental consent.

The person who said they could do one for him is a freind of his and knows his age. I have seen a tat they have done and it wasnt the best ive seen, that doesnt worry me he can have it covered at a later date, what im more worried about infection etc as it would be done at their house... and the fact his parents do not want him to have it.

So what is the age of consent and could that person be done for bodily harm if they went ahead anyway??

It is illegal to tattoo anyone under the age of 18, no matter what, even with parental permission. If you don't mind causing potential trouble, report this person to environmental health, tax authorities etc or threaten to do so. If someone is willing to disregard the law, I doubt that they will be that careful with disposing of used sharps (should use a sharps bin) and may not be declaring extra income from tattooing to the nice tax man, so the threat of that may put them off tattooing this child.

OK so my nephew wants a tat, this is fine, however he is 15, he has told his mum it is legal to have one with parental consent.

The person who said they could do one for him is a freind of his and knows his age. I have seen a tat they have done and it wasnt the best ive seen, that doesnt worry me he can have it covered at a later date, what im more worried about infection etc as it would be done at their house... and the fact his parents do not want him to have it.

So what is the age of consent and could that person be done for bodily harm if they went ahead anyway??

he will regret it until the day he dies! i had some done when 14 by a dodgy place at heeley many years ago, luckily i can easily cover them in normal life and had cover ups done many years later as the original design was dated but if i had my time again NO WAY !

Thanks guys, he has now agreed to wait till he is 18, he wanted his name in large writing on the inner of his forearm :loopy:

I did tell him that the lines would spread as he got older and look rubbish, the one i got at 18 is naff looking now!!

I would doubt the tattoo 'artist' is that bothered as she has done her own 15yr old daughter!! If I could make sure there would be no repercussions I would report her, but i'm sorry to say i'm not risking my family and home and what someone could do to it!

Thanks again for your help guys!

Archived