Families to go to Australia?

My family were £10 poms. My grandparents were the first ones in the family to go but they returned after a year as my grandad could not find work. My parents then left the UK in the 70's and spent 3 years out there, they were joined by my grandparents again only for it not to work out. The heat got to them really bad. My brother was born out there and he and my sister returned to Oz in the late 90's - he hated it and came back to the UK. My sister spend 7 years out there, married an Oz, had a child but still came back to the UK. Now my brother is trying again - he has dual nationality so can come and go as he pleases but has been offered a job in Sydney. I can't help but think it will end in tears and he'll be back again. They call them 'ping-pong pom's out there, you have to wonder what makes so many ex-pats return to the UK eventually.

Hmmmmm it does dont it :confused:

Your other half said get yourself off, he wants to do a mutual exchange and move a nice fit blond Ozzy bird in :hihi:

And when they are talking of Visa's they are not talking about that piece of plastic your old man gave you :D

Oy yu cheeky haha :hihi::hihi::hihi:

He would be lost without me like losing a limb :D

My brother moved out there 40 years ago and has done OK. It was bloody hard to start with, but he's a grafter so he succeeded.

But the price of houses over there is ridiculous - that is, if you can actually find one for sale or rent. Some friends of his recently moved back to his town and ended up dossing down at his place for months until they could find somewhere to live - and they both had good jobs, with good wages.

The cost of living has also gone through the roof - I think he said gas/electric prices had increased 40% in a year, with more increases to come. That isn't good news, because it's so bloody hot in summer he needs to run the air conditioning. Food has also shot up in price, along with essentials like washing powder, etc.

He lives about 3 hours from Sydney by train - travel is a lot cheaper over there, but there is only one train a day to and from Sydney, which means only one train a day for all the towns in between.

The grass is not necessarily always greener elsewhere.

My brother moved out there 40 years ago and has done OK. It was bloody hard to start with, but he's a grafter so he succeeded.

But the price of houses over there is ridiculous - that is, if you can actually find one for sale or rent. Some friends of his recently moved back to his town and ended up dossing down at his place for months until they could find somewhere to live - and they both had good jobs, with good wages.

The cost of living has also gone through the roof - I think he said gas/electric prices had increased 40% in a year, with more increases to come. That isn't good news, because it's so bloody hot in summer he needs to run the air conditioning. Food has also shot up in price, along with essentials like washing powder, etc.

He lives about 3 hours from Sydney by train - travel is a lot cheaper over there, but there is only one train a day to and from Sydney, which means only one train a day for all the towns in between.

The grass is not necessarily always greener elsewhere.

Culturally, Australia strikes me as pretty similar to South Africa (minus the scarily high crime levels) which I have visited a few times, due to my in-laws living there.

My husband has been offered several jobs in Australia, it holds zero appeal. I also detest the heat and am not a big outdoorsy person, so definitely not for me.

Why should they make it easy for most people? If there's a lot of unemployment, then isn't limiting immigration the obvious thing to do?

Perhaps they don't feel some strange urge to tax their own people so that migrants can add their names to the lists of the unemployed?

Presumably, if the Australians think they really need or want somebody, that person will find it comparatively easy to get a visa.

but they do make it easy for some like the boat people coming via indonesia +christmas island,getting automatic refugee status on arrival a big political issue during recent elections.in my own experiance i've know people from the uk and ireland with trades and profesions in demand here taken years and thousands of dollars to get perminant residence

Culturally, Australia strikes me as pretty similar to South Africa (minus the scarily high crime levels) which I have visited a few times, due to my in-laws living there.

My husband has been offered several jobs in Australia, it holds zero appeal. I also detest the heat and am not a big outdoorsy person, so definitely not for me.

you could'nt be further from the truth theres a big difference .australians think they've got a sense of humor ..south africans have'nt

but they do make it easy for some like the boat people coming via indonesia +christmas island,getting automatic refugee status on arrival a big political issue during recent elections.in my own experiance i've know people from the uk and ireland with trades and profesions in demand here taken years and thousands of dollars to get perminant residence

Thanks for that John. Wasn't there a fuss a few years ago about boat people from Vietnam being put into internment camps straight away so that their cases would be investigated thoroughly before they were told they could enter - or more often forbidden right of entry?

I seem to remember that the 'bleeding hearts' felt that they should all be let in ... of course, none of them would disappear, would they?

I have a niece who is married to an Australian who lives on the West Coast. Her mother intends to retire there. My sister has both US and British nationality, she won't be having any more children (obviously), won't be working (living on a pension which she will bring with her) and will bing her own health insurance with her. She won't be a burden on the state, but nor will she be much of an asset. - She will pay sales and other taxes and will (presumably) provide some work for those who provide the services she uses.

When she applied, she was told there was a waiting list and because the number of applicants from the UK was/is rather higher than the number from the US, the waiting period for a British citizen to obtain a visa is longer than that for an American.

Is there a quota system based on Nationality for people entering with work visas?

What you'll need to bear in mind is that there are many many different types of visa. And they don't make it easy. Also, the rules change that often that they're in a near constant state of change. For instance, for one entire class of visa they've recently reached the point where the rules had changed so much and so much time had passed, the applications were useless. So they were all binned and the applicants refunded and told to start again. Nice if you've been waiting several years for yours to get to top of the pile.

This is sooo true! We have just undergone getting a visa for the missus. It took us a year and everytime we spoke to immigration about 1 thing we found out the rules had changed and we had more to do! In the end we just lodged it and hoped for the best... if they want more they can ask us for it! :hihi:

Sydney is VERY expensive property wise but travel an hour up the coast and things become very affordable. I have a property to let at the moment for $300 a week. 4 bed, double garage, good size yard, boat shed and jetty onto the lake....

Job wise is probably the same as the uk. I cam out here and totally changed my career. I am now in property management and its never been busier. The lifestyle is exactly what I thought it would be.

Yes the country has its problems but If I can come out here with 20kg's of luggage and $8000 in the bank and succeed like I am ( rent a very nice 3bed house near the beach, drive a 3 year old 5.4ltr V8 ute, that I also use for work so hardly economical :hihi:, paid for the girlfriends visa, $2500 and still have money in the bank), then anyone can... it just comes down to how much you want it!

Archived