Peace Gardens pre renovation

Tamati

the eggbox was the NEW town hall, including housing etc.

it went over the pavement and had loads of steps underneath and metal statues and a fountain

another pic of the old peace gardens, theres not that many online i dont think, pages and pages of the new version.

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/t.green/peacegdns.gif

in the 70s - early 90s it was full of rockers, punks, winos etc etc just getting smashed sat on the grass, hundreds

including me :)

cant remember how many times i got thrown in the town hall fountain on mi birthday

The old peace gardens was full of tramps drinking meths and druggies . Now they have moved down by the markets along with the chavs .
Ere, you avin a go or wot ? :hihi:

Google earth allows you to view ariel images from previous years, it only goes back to 1999, but more has changed since then, than you might think.

Really?

I'm a google earth addict and I never realised!

The landscape is so different in all three locations. Is there any particular reason you have in mind?

Just simply out of interest to see what it was like before.

I moved to Sheffield in 2008.

Can anyone link me to or post pictures of the Peace Gardens (and surrounding area) before the changes.

Other bits I'd like to see what it was like before.

Railway station

Winter gardens

Devonshire green area (before the West One complex was built.

Thank you

Don't forget the hole in the road!

The city centre really has changed alot over the years (for the better imo).

Don't forget the hole in the road!

The city centre really has changed alot over the years (for the better imo).

I've seen that in the mini documentary "sheffield on the move" at the beginning of 'the full monty'

Where was it?

Do you have any pictures, or links?

I've seen that in the mini documentary "sheffield on the move" at the beginning of 'the full monty'

Where was it?

Do you have any pictures, or links?

Do you know where the Bankers draft pub is? It was on that area that is now the tram stop between the Bankers and TJ Hughes. I was very young and only have 1 memory of the fish tank under there.

I did a google search and it returned a few pictures but im sure there is much better ones on the history sites.

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the best part of 4 years in the Peace Gardens drinking cider when not in the Wap or Yorkshireman. (81 - 85+) Had many a dip too! Happy days.

Closest I get now is a glass or 2 of white wine in the garden with friends - suppose I could always put a toe in the pond for that added dimension - but its never going to be the same!!!

Archived