Are there any northern soul fans

buttercup

I used to love 'A Touch Of Velvet A Sting Of Brass', but my copy, which seems to have vanished, was by The Mood Mosaic. perhaps Mark Wirtz was the arranger and/or producer. It first gained favour when one of the pirate radio DJs (Radio Caroline or London, possibly) used it as his theme tune.

I would love to go to a "Northern Soul Do" to revisit my youth. I sometimes see them advertised round the Sheffield area but have not yet been brave enough to go. I cant imagine what it would be like, perhaps full of aged folk like me. Has anyone got any experience of such dos?

You want to check out 'Soul+' at the Runaway Girl on Arundel Street. The DJ, Lofty, is a northern fan in his late 40's with a blinding and endless record collection. Brilliant DJ and a great little venue. You get all sorts there but certainly plenty of folks in their 40s who were into it first time round. No pretence and no worries about feeling awkward on the floor. Everyone's just enjoying themselves and nobody's bothered if you're just 'dad-dancing', as long as you're dancing!

PS. Little known fact: Lofty is a health and safety manager in his dayjob! True!

just to add...

My God! after posting that, my curiosity got the better of me...

I have just googled Mark Wirtz....

and have discovered that *he* also recorded the song "Excerpts From A Teenage Opera"

(grocer jack, grocer jack,/ is it true what mommy says,/ you won't come back? /oh no-oh no-o.)

I never realised this was the same artiste. I am stunned!

PT

type keith west into you tube .com:thumbsup:

• 4 years later...
Hi only_me,

Yes, I knew that Max had a son and daughter - Genevieve was only about 5 when I last saw her - at Max's house at a party just before Christmas 1969. I think Karl was older, but I can't remember.

Max named the club after her, of course, and I found out after I moved from Sheffield that he'd wanted me to join him full-time and help with the planning of the facilities and then move into management.

I'd built the sound system at SHADES in the spring of 1969 - before I worked as a DJ there - it was the first stereo disco in the north of England.

I moved to Braintree in Essex to run the Gibson Guitar service centre, which was a little closer to my 'real' line of work than the club job.

I've never had any further contact with Max or his children, but I'd love to know if any of them are still around.

All the best, Graham.

can you rember kaths daughter ??

Archived