Hows your local gp

My gps surgury is one of those with about ten doctors in,so you never see the same one twice.But what gets me is the first question is do you smoke,do you drink?.And if the answere is yes to either or both they seem to switch off.Anyone elses doc like this.The fact your there for somthing not even closelly related to either smoking or drinking does not seem to matter.

It`s rare for me to have an issue with the doctor, but don`t get me started on the useless power crazed receptionists .
My bold

Who, of course, decide for themselves what the system is going to be for arranging appointments, decide for themselves to ask patients if they really need a doctor's visit, and decide for themselves how many surgeries are going to be run in a week. And also decide how many receptionists are going to be on duty at any one time, just so that they can have the pleasure of trying to answer the phone and deal with people standing at the reception desk at the same time! Oh, and of course they're also responsible for the fact that surgeries are running late and patients have to wait 20-30 minutes beyond their appointment time!

It's absolutely nowt to do with the doctors, who run the practice, is it?

My gps surgury is one of those with about ten doctors in,so you never see the same one twice.But what gets me is the first question is do you smoke,do you drink?.And if the answere is yes to either or both they seem to switch off.Anyone elses doc like this.The fact your there for somthing not even closelly related to either smoking or drinking does not seem to matter.

I would ask to see the same doctor each time.I think they trying to convey the view a lot of people have that people who drink and smoke are more prone to illness due to reduced immunity ,vitamin deficiency and other factors.Why dont you write to your chosen practitioner outlining your lifestyle and ask how you can improve it?At least that would save you having to explain those habits you may be embarrassed about and save them having to ask you sensitive questions?My near neighbour is a doctor with strong views about smokers who ignore his advise and complain about poor service.I am glad youm have presented an alternative viewpoint.

More than happy with mine.

I smoke and drink - but not 12 hours before an appointment with the GP ;)

When I was a kid my doctor used to be tipsy whilst he was at work and nobody batted an eyelid back then, you could smell it on him most of the time :hihi:

Archived