Advice wanted re buying a second hand car

hey my m8 is selling his saxo(not a boyracer one). for £150 because he went to kwit fit for a full service and got a fair list of faults so he went and got a new car. so ive looked at the list and i dont think its that bad on the plus side my g.f is a mechanic and can do all the work at home kwik fit quoted him £650.

parts are

timing belt

wheel cylinder x2

spark plugs

brake fuid

two wipers

four new tyres

is it worth buying for the £150

I wouldn't believe anything Kwik Fit told you, as usual they are just looking for unnecessary work!. The parts you say apart from the wheel cylinders, wipers and tyres are just normal service items. 4 tyres, £80; Brake service kit, £25; Wipers, £3. Why the brake fluid, is it contaminated? Spark Plugs debatable; timing belt, also debatable on an old car? How old is the car?

The expensive bit is the timing belt. This can't actually have failed, otherwise the engine would be junked, they probably have just found that it has not been replaced at the recommended interval. It is possible, though unlikely, that they managed to inspect it and that is why they want to replace it. In any case, it might go for years without needing changing, but when it fails it will ruin your whole engine. This is usually a job for a garage and will be at least £200, probably £300.

The brake cylinders probably have leaks, and you can probably get a set of seals and do it yourself. Tyres can be as little as £20 each, but I doubt all four are illegal at the same time. It is more normal to wear the front two first.

The wipers probably work, it will just be rubbers which cost a few quid. I don't know how much spark plugs are, but not much, and they are easy to fit.

Mod Note

Off topic posts deleted

The OP wants to know if it is worth buying the car for £150, if you can't help with that then there are plenty of other threads.

hey my m8 is selling his saxo(not a boyracer one). for £150 because he went to kwit fit for a full service and got a fair list of faults so he went and got a new car. so ive looked at the list and i dont think its that bad on the plus side my g.f is a mechanic and can do all the work at home kwik fit quoted him £650.

parts are

timing belt

wheel cylinder x2

spark plugs

brake fuid

two wipers

four new tyres

is it worth buying for the £150

If you're seriously considering buying it, I'd be putting it through an MOT to see exactly what it fails on. Like others have said, I wouldn't trust Kwik-Fit with anything - other than to rip me off.

You can pick these cars up for as little as £800-00 (2002) so if you can get all the work completed that the car needs for less money than that - and it's in good condition in other respects, and the paperwork checks out, then it might be a good buy.

If it was being serviced as well as the MOT I would have expected the plugs to be replaced. Or is a Kwik Fit service nothing more than a wash and top up the fluid levels?

Going on that list I would have thought that (barring emissions and any brake issues) it would only be the wipers and tyres which would fail the MOT.

Even if you have to do all that work, it will cost you a LOT less than the Kwik Fit quote.

With a mechanic to help you, parts will probably cost you in the order of £100 total, plus £80-100 for a set of economy tyres, which would give you a popular 2002 hatch for under £350 - maybe 1/3 of its value?

If the car has tidy bodywork, it is a seriously good bargain.

I'd say it depends on the condition of the bodywork, interior and the overall mileage. If it's a clean car then well worth it. Shouldn't cost £650 for that list of things, tyres will be the most expensive thing where obviously you could get cheap nasty ones or spend a bit and actually be able to stop and stuff.

Archived