Mininmum age For Buying Energy Drinks?

Sheffield City Council - self help advice sheet - age restricted products

this doesn't mention energy drinks anywhere

a shop can refuse to sell to anyone on whatever grounds they choose however they can't invade someone's privacy by asking for identification or proof of age for things which aren't on that list

a shop can refuse to sell to anyone on whatever grounds they choose however they can't invade someone's privacy by asking for identification or proof of age for things which aren't on that list

Technically, though, that's a contradictory statement - can they refuse to sell on the grounds "we don't think you are old enough?" If so, the only way they will sell it to you is if you show proof of age.

Is there a legal minimum age you have to be before you can buy energy drinks?

My daughter, age 15, was stopped from buying a generic brand of energy drink in a certain budget goods shop, Pound Universe or something like that.

According to the till staff you have to be at least 16 before they'll sell them to you.

I think the shop was correct in their action, just because the law doesn't state an age limit, they are clearly not suitable hence the warning on the bottles by most manufacturers.

Technically, though, that's a contradictory statement - can they refuse to sell on the grounds "we don't think you are old enough?" If so, the only way they will sell it to you is if you show proof of age.

Haha, does it really matter though, I doubt any kid would pull a cashier up for being contradictory.

Haha, does it really matter though, I doubt any kid would pull a cashier up for being contradictory.

It just means that in practice a shop can insist on seeing proof of age for any product - since they can refuse to sell on the grounds that you did not show proof of age.

in that case they are discriminating

if the shop just says "sorry I'm not selling these goods to you" they don't have to give any other reason

in fact if they do give any other reason they could be taken to court and have it challenged if there's no legal basis

and claiming something is age restricted when it isn't is something that can be challenged very easily, if it's not in a category on that list then the shop has lost, and the purchaser has a case for compensation on grounds of discrimination

so if you run a shop and you don't want to sell something to someone just say "no" and leave it at that you don't have to give a reason, don't invent fictional legalities as you are just inviting a lawsuit

I think the shop was correct in their action, just because the law doesn't state an age limit, they are clearly not suitable hence the warning on the bottles by most manufacturers.

Indeed.

Nor should they be allowed to buy coffee (high in caffeine) tea (even higher) Coca-Cola (high in caffeine and rots your teeth)

Why can't the kids of today stick to buying alcopops? - Or cider.

if the shop just says "sorry I'm not selling these goods to you" they don't have to give any other reason

That’s right; I was in our local shop when they refused to sell a can of shandy bass to a young kid :hihi: I can remember that as a kid just a whiff of beer but we thought it was the real thing.

Archived