Drinking in Hathersage/Derbyshire

Owl84

Does anyone know if there are many pubs in Hathersage for a good drink on a Saturday afternoon? Or can you recommend any good little drinking villages/towns in the peaks/derbyshire or on the that are easily accessable by train maybe on the Hope Valley line like Hathersage?

I wouldn't recommend Hathersage for a drink (apart from the beer garden at the Plough but that is unlikely to be an option this autumn!) - try the Anglers Rest at Bamford. Has a combination of locals and walkers and other visitors weekend afternoons usually. You can get food (before 3pm) and there's a pool table and darts board. I'll be in there at the end of my dog walk. Hope to see you in there!

For Hathersage try the Millstone on the main road to the north of the village is good if you want to sit outside and don't mind paying over the odds for your drinks (although the quality of the real ales has been excellent when I've visited). The Little John in the village centre is fine if you want decent beer at sensible prices although in a relatively scruffy environment.

Why not try the Hope Valley train crawl? It depends how much walking you want to do but we generally get a return ticket to Edale- walk up to the top pub and then call in the Ramblers before hopping on the train to Hope. You have to plan a little in advance to get the timings right!

You then get off in Hope where there are a few pubs, and the Cheshire Cheese a little further away.

Next stop Bamford if you want to walk all the way up to the Anglers, but it is quite a hike.

Hathersage has several pubs- the Plough and Millstone are both a fair walk in opposite directions but the Little John is right in the centre, they have good food at the Scotsmans Pack and seating outside by the brook if it's a nice day.

You can then get off in Grindleford if you aren't too tired and try the Maynard Arms, but they often have functions on Saturdays and won't serve you.

You then hop on the train back to Sheffield and having seen some great scenery you might hopefully sink another good pint in the Sheffield Tap- it's a perfect day out!!

Which is the pub next to Little John's grave? I went there a few years ago and seem to remember it being quite nice and cosy (Mind you, it was snowing outside)

I thinks the pub you mean is the 'Scotsmans Pack'

Does anyone know if there are many pubs in Hathersage for a good drink on a Saturday afternoon? Or can you recommend any good little drinking villages/towns in the peaks/derbyshire or on the that are easily accessable by train maybe on the Hope Valley line like Hathersage?

Get the train to Hope, two pubs there, The Old Hall and The Woodroffe Arms. A short stroll to Castleton, possibly taking in a drink at The Poachers Arms on the way. Castleton has Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese, The Bulls Head, Ye Olde Nags Head, The Castle, The Peaks Inn and The George Hotel.

Not a lot of folk know this but there's a chippie that only opens Sat/Sun lunch times, take the road to Peveril Castle, turn right and it's on the left a bit further down.

Is that enough pubs for you? Job done, I don't know how I do it for the money. :hihi:

Archived