Sheila Dik****, funny name?

Thanks, FJ. - I must admit, I really don't think he was smart enough to make an intended racist comment. Had he said "It just sort've popped out" I would've been quite ready to believe him.

He's not the sharpest tool in the box, is he?

Would you employ him?

Another political correctness gone mad story.

http://news.uk.msn.com/world/articles.aspx?cp-documentid=154889877

Honestly, if she's going to go around with a name like that, she should expect a bit of ribbing! If it upsets her that much, why doesn't she change it? Some people take themselves far too seriously.

EDIT: Just read it again and it's actually some PC politician who's complained, not Ms Dip****. Why's he taking offence on her behalf? What's it got to do with him?

Honestly, if she's going to go around with a name like that, she should expect a bit of ribbing! If it upsets her that much, why doesn't she change it? Some people take themselves far too seriously.

EDIT: Just read it again and it's actually some PC politician who's complained, not Ms Dip****. Why's he taking offence on her behalf? What's it got to do with him?

Gordon Bennett!:hihi:

There's already a thread about this.

What an insensitive comment to make. She can't help her name and I imagine that it's not sneered or sniggered at in her own country. Why should she change it just because it sounds rude in English?

That is quite hilarious and I must admit smiling/chuckling whilst reading it... but it is quite a common name in India.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

That's what happens when you read third rate news providers.

The point of the complaint was that the broadcaster had been informed repeatedly how to pronounce the name, even while on air immediately after saying it wrong, but he chose to ignore all advice and say it incorrectly time and time again, specifically to cause offence.

..from the article it seems the Paul Henry has some history of making comments that are crass in nature.

"Henry, regarded as a provocative "shock jock," is already suspended from Television New Zealand for a separate incident of insensitive remarks.

He questioned whether New Zealand-born governor general Sir Anand Satyanand, the son of Fiji Indian migrants, was "even a New Zealander" and whether his successor would "look and sound like a New Zealander".

..I wonder if Paul Henry's a Maori? :suspect:

Archived