Prisoners to work for minimum wage

A recent suggestion in the news that prisoners may be able to work for a minimum wage and a portion of that would go to their victims. They would keep the rest.

What do people think....

My personal opinion is that they should work and a portion of the earnings should go to victims and rest should go to pay for their stay in prison.

A recent suggestion in the news that prisoners may be able to work for a minimum wage and a portion of that would go to their victims. They would keep the rest.

What do people think....

My personal opinion is that they should work and a portion of the earnings should go to victims and rest should go to pay for their stay in prison.

We have not enough jobs for people on the outside without supplying firms with minimum wage jailbird labour.

Having said that this is nothing new and has been happening for years.

I have afew friends who's businesses employ prisoners from north sea camp prison near boston.

There are a few 'off topic' comments on the subject on this thread.

I won't copy my comments over, but to summarise:

"If you were running a company, would you be prepared to spend over the odds hiring prisoners as labour?"

It's all very well to say 'prisoners should work and should pay compensation to their victims' - and I agree with that sentiment.

BUT: If the cost of supervising/providing the work is more than the value of the product produced, is it a good idea?

What will happen to the money they earn that is theirs? Will it be paid into a bank account to use on their release or will they be able to spend it in prison?

Prison shops were traditionally cheap because prisoners were paid so little for the work they did. In particular tobacco was kept cheap to prevent it becoming currency on the wings. Hard cash isn't allowed for prisoners in an attempt to cut down on black market trading, mainly in drugs.

So what's the plan for prisoners now to earn a decent wage?

What will happen to the money they earn that is theirs? Will it be paid into a bank account to use on their release or will they be able to spend it in prison?

Prison shops were traditionally cheap because prisoners were paid so little for the work they did. In particular tobacco was kept cheap to prevent it becoming currency on the wings. Hard cash isn't allowed for prisoners in an attempt to cut down on black market trading, mainly in drugs.

So what's the plan for prisoners now to earn a decent wage?

Well Mr Nail - I can advise the forum that either (a) you are an accomplished liar or (b) you know bugger-all about prisons. -or both

:hihi::hihi:

Prison shops are traditionally EXPENSIVE (not cheap) because the merchandise has to be purchased by prison staff. They don't buy it from Tesco (and they don't get a huge discount.) They tend to buy it from the local corner store, because accountability is more important than value-for-money. (Particularly if you're the person who is going to be held accountable.)

(You can't have people sending uncleared merchandise into prisons - how would you know what as actually coming in?)

Where did you come up with the fairy story about 'cheap tobacco for prisoners'? (that's a laugh!)

Why on earth should prisoners get cheap tobacco?

C'mon then. Justify what you said. Which are the prisons which provide cheap tobaco? - Name them.

Hard cash isn't allowed ... but phone cards are as good as cash and for many inmates, credit is good. - those on the out can pay the bill.

Archived