Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

• Yes, it was a long time ago and has no relevence today.
    • No, we should never forget.
    • Don't care.

I was on the tory thread last night and yet again whenever anyone mentions the tories someone pops up with Thatcher and teh miners. I'm perfectly aware that a lot of people we're unemployed and a fair few got rather upset but ultimately the whole miner's issue was 25 years ago. Surely they have all got jobs again now.

Didn't the miners hold the country to ransom several times? What if this happened today and workers in the electricity industry wanted to strike for a week, would you not think it irresponsible?

Personally I think worse things have happened since and we should just get on with life and stop bringing the miners strike as if it was the holocaust or something. What do you think?

Loony lefties' political ideass are still stuck in the 1980s so it's not surprising they keep dragging up the miners strike.

Ironically if Scargill had won we'd now be living under a Communist dictatorship and forums like this would be banned. Thank God Maggie saved us!

I was on the tory thread last night and yet again whenever anyone mentions the tories someone pops up with Thatcher and teh miners. I'm perfectly aware that a lot of people we're unemployed and a fair few got rather upset but ultimately the whole miner's issue was 25 years ago. Surely they have all got jobs again now.

Didn't the miners hold the country to ransom several times? What if this happened today and workers in the electricity industry wanted to strike for a week, would you not think it irresponsible?

Personally I think worse things have happened since and we should just get on with life and stop bringing the miners strike as if it was the holocaust or something. What do you think?

I wonder why?

Is it because the Tories are the same old party trying to do the same old things like keeping the workers in their places whilst pandering to the God money.

A few miners got quite a little more than upset and, no matter how long ago it was, it left a legacy of unemployment and derelict pit villages which still exist today.

The ones who held the country to ransom were the government who refused to give the miners, the pay & conditions which they earned & deserved.

Re: the electricity workers - there's a little difference between wiring a junction box and working down a pit.

Isn't it a bit irresponsible to line the pockets of the fat cats whilst the ones who do the work and ultimately provide the wealth are kept on peanuts.

The Tories (and the greedy) would like the miners strike to be forgotten because they still can't justify what they did.

I take it you didn't have the misfortune to be around those proud mining comminities when things were desperate?

I wonder why?

Is it because the Tories are the same old party trying to do the same old things like keeping the workers in their places whilst pandering to the God money.

A few miners got quite a little more than upset and, no matter how long ago it was, it left a legacy of unemployment and derelict pit villages which still exist today.

The ones who held the country to ransom were the government who refused to give the miners, the pay & conditions which they earned & deserved.

Re: the electricity workers - there's a little difference between wiring a junction box and working down a pit.

Isn't it a bit irresponsible to line the pockets of the fat cats whilst the ones who do the work and ultimately provide the wealth are kept on peanuts.

The Tories (and the greedy) would like the miners strike to be forgotten because they still can't justify what they did.

The people that work on the grid, not sparks.

I take it you didn't have the misfortune to be around those proud mining comminities when things were desperate?

I was very young. I'm aware that the mines were becoming uncompetitive and something needed to be done.

It was 25 years ago. I'msure it was hard for a lot of people but it's done now, it's gone. I don't believe anyone is still suffering the effects. Did the miners care about who they were affecting by going on strike, people relied on electricity back then you know.

Would you be happy if all the workers on the national grid went on strike now and left us without power?

You see what you've started Tony. By starting a thread telling people to stop going on about the miners strike, you've encouraged the loony lefties to come out and start ranting about it again!

I was very young. I'm aware that the mines were becoming uncompetitive and something needed to be done.

It was 25 years ago. I'msure it was hard for a lot of people but it's done now, it's gone. I don't believe anyone is still suffering the effects. Did the miners care about who they were affecting by going on strike, people relied on electricity back then you now.

Would you be happy if all the workers on the national grid went on strike now and left us without power?

I really think you had to have been there to truly understand why people are still upset a quarter of a century later. Yes, you can guess what it was like, but you will never truly understand.

I grew up in a mining community, my father and family before him were miners, and I witnessed the strikes and the hardship that followed. I got to see my village, what was a proud community, destroyed in such a short space of time. My father and many like him were not given any opportunity. They lost their jobs and were thrown on the scrapheap along with every other person, who's job relied on the NCB. Yes, when the mines close, it wasn't only the miners that lost their jobs.

Thatcher single handedly destroyed whole communities of hardworking men and replaced them with run down slums wholy reliant on benefits. I think it's safe to say, these once proud men have every right to not to forget. I won't and I was just a mere child at the time.

As for the National Grid people going on strike. Yes, I would find it inconvenient, but I would not be unhappy as I believe we all have the right to take industrial action.

Mr Cliché strikes again.

"Political correctness gone mad" in one thread, "loony lefties" in another - is anything that you write original or your own thoughts?

For a moderator you don't seem to understand the forum rules very well. "Attack the post not the poster", as the saying goes.

Archived