Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

• Yes, it was a long time ago and has no relevence today.
    • No, we should never forget.
    • Don't care.

Erm...

Every single report i have ever read has stated that Scargill took the money for the house from the I.M.O... The two sources i linked just happened to be the first two highlighted by Google and the latter happened to be an excerpt from his biography, not a tabloid.

At no point either have i hinted that Scargill 'stole' his money from anybody, merely that the money he used to feather his nest was at the extreme expense of his members at a time that those members were being made homeless.

It was an example of extremely bad taste by a man so self satisfied with himself, it beggars belief.

I find it's always best to look at controversial subjects the way a high court judge does. So:

1. He borrowed cash which he paid back with interest to the IMO. What's the problem? The theoretical framework of his Treelands purchase is shady dealings and embezzlement when there is none at all. Let's strike that off.

2. In what way is Scargill buying a house in 1986 detrimental to his members? It wasn't. Should he have foregone pay until all after effect of the strike had ceased? In effect he was without pay during the strike and for around 18 months after until the sequestrator handed control of the NUM's cash back to the NUM.

3. Your opinion on taste and mine is irrelevant to the facts. I do agree however that it was a tasteless and foolish act that he no doubt justified to himself on the above grounds. E.g he complied with the letter of the law and union rules etc but not the spirit.

So to sum up where is the evidence that Scargill became extremely wealthy as a result of the strike? Did he get a fat pay rise for his work? Did he embezzle accounts? Did he pay for anything for himself out of miners money? No on all counts, case dismissed.

In the name of balance read 'The Enemy Within' and don't go around accusing people of getting wealthy at miners expense when they didn't. If miners thought him too wealthy there would have been motions to NUM conference demanding a pay cut. Were there any from even Scargills bitterest enemies in the NUM? No. Did he stand for election again in January 1988 and win? Yes. Case closed.

Archived