Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

• Yes, it was a long time ago and has no relevence today.
    • No, we should never forget.
    • Don't care.

I was on the tory thread last night and yet again whenever anyone mentions the tories someone pops up with Thatcher and teh miners. I'm perfectly aware that a lot of people we're unemployed and a fair few got rather upset but ultimately the whole miner's issue was 25 years ago. Surely they have all got jobs again now.

Didn't the miners hold the country to ransom several times? What if this happened today and workers in the electricity industry wanted to strike for a week, would you not think it irresponsible?

Personally I think worse things have happened since and we should just get on with life and stop bringing the miners strike as if it was the holocaust or something. What do you think?

And I thought Sam Cameron was the new Marie Antionette.:hihi:

You telling me not one of these people saved? They all had gardens, they could grow stuff. Obviously we're not going to agree on this but if these people were as hard working, resilient and community minded as you keep suggesting they were then I'm sure they could do something. People in Africa have little, they still try don't they?

My parents had little or no money as did the vast majority in the community. What little savings people did have, they were not enough to sustain the family unit, let alone the community. Money was donated by those in the community who were fortunate enough to be receiving a wage, however, it wasn't enough to spread amongst the thousands that were reliant.

People in the community did grow their own food and/or gave food to other families, but food does not pay a mortgage etc.

My parents had little or no money as did the vast majority in the community.

You make it sound like the turn of the century when people were earning £3 a week, I think at the time the miners were pretty well paid.

i left school 47years ago at 15 you then had a load of choices mines, building work, and railways,and much much more, since maggie what choice now lets think i know job center or whats called around here joke shop

Are you seriously saying that those three industries kept the whole nation employed and we don't have any choices now?

Archived