Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

• Yes, it was a long time ago and has no relevence today.
    • No, we should never forget.
    • Don't care.

That's because it wasn't. It was an unprofitable and not willing to adapt industry that was closed down. Many more jobs have been created since. Using sayings that were commentaries on war is just sensationalist.

we all know it wasn't. No one, save you, has said it is comparable.

You make it sound like the turn of the century when people were earning £3 a week, I think at the time the miners were pretty well paid.

When I first started in the steelworks in the 70’s I got a full 20 quid a week, 3 quid at the turn of the century :hihi: I bet most people had never even seen a quid note then.

No, I understand the sentiment entirely. I just don't think closing down an unprofitable industry warrants the sentiment.

The miners strike was the epitome of the last Tory rule, my sentiment was meant to cover their whole time in power rather than just the miners strike.

Got to go now, the dog is giving me the deadeye, looks like its walkies time.:wave:

but it isn't just about wars. It is about haveing the intelligence to learn from the past and not just relegate all experiences to meaningless events. They are only meaningless if you do not learn from them.

We have learned from them. Sometimes in order for our industry to survive we have to ourselves make sacrifices. How many miners accepted a pay cut to stay in work?

Then why 25 years later are people still going on about it. Are you telling me that all the people affected by it are still out of work and living in poverty?

If you look at socioeconomical factors then the effects are still very real. Events from 25 years ago still affect people. There are knock on effects that don't just dissapear overnight. Housing problems, lack of money in communities, lack of opportunities, lack of re training, then the effects on the children in the communities. I think it is something that will slowly be forgotten and the effects less visible. Also when something is within living memory then the effects are most certainly real and still felt.

You appear to be doubting this because you haven't been affected. I have never been run over by a car but I expect it hurts and believe it will take time to recover physically and mentally.

Archived