Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is it time we gave the miners thing a rest?

• Yes, it was a long time ago and has no relevence today.
    • No, we should never forget.
    • Don't care.

It's worth mentioning, apart from the devastation of communities and family life, there is a further dark side which will never be forgotten.

The UK Miners Strike in 1984 saw thousands of miners and their families abused and assaulted and declared 'Enemies' by the police and the dark forces of the establishment. Margaret Thatcher's description of miners and their Union as "The Enemy Within", was basically a green light for the police to become an political army which had the task of dealing with this working class 'Enemy'. The 'Enemy' were battered senseless and terrorised whilst the top ranks of the police congratulated the lower ranks on a job well done as the truncheons crashed down on the skulls of British Miners. Not ONE policeman was charged with any criminal offence despite there being thousands of witnesses, photographs and film footage showing the police acting with reckless yet co-ordinated violence. Over 200 miners were jailed. During the strike 20,000 people were injured or hospitalised. Two were killed on picket lines, three died digging for coal during the winter.

966 men were originally sacked for no more than honouring picket lines, defending their jobs and pit communities, their class and the future of their children.

If you look at socioeconomical factors then the effects are still very real. Events from 25 years ago still affect people. There are knock on effects that don't just dissapear overnight. Housing problems, lack of money in communities, lack of opportunities, lack of re training, then the effects on the children in the communities. I think it is something that will slowly be forgotten and the effects less visible. Also when something is within living memory then the effects are most certainly real and still felt.

You appear to be doubting this because you haven't been affected. I have never been run over by a car but I expect it hurts and believe it will take time to recover physically and mentally.

I never said I didn't sympathise but I honestly don't believe any communities are still affected 25 years on. If they are then I doubt there was much hope for them anyway.

It's worth mentioning, apart from the devastation of communities and family life, there is a further dark side which will never be forgotten.

The UK Miners Strike in 1984 saw thousands of miners and their families abused and assaulted and declared 'Enemies' by the police and the dark forces of the establishment. Margaret Thatcher's description of miners and their Union as "The Enemy Within", was basically a green light for the police to become an political army which had the task of dealing with this working class 'Enemy'. The 'Enemy' were battered senseless and terrorised whilst the top ranks of the police congratulated the lower ranks on a job well done as the truncheons crashed down on the skulls of British Miners. Not ONE policeman was charged with any criminal offence despite there being thousands of witnesses, photographs and film footage showing the police acting with reckless yet co-ordinated violence. Over 200 miners were jailed. During the strike 20,000 people were injured or hospitalised. Two were killed on picket lines, three died digging for coal during the winter.

966 men were originally sacked for no more than honouring picket lines, defending their jobs and pit communities, their class and the future of their children.

Could they have accepted a pay cut?

I never said I didn't sympathise but I honestly don't believe any communities are still affected 25 years on. If they are then I doubt there was much hope for them anyway.

Well, may I suggest you visit a few ex mining communities and see for yourself. These communities were full of hope and that hope was removed when the communities were destroyed.

Well, may I suggest you visit a few ex mining communities and see for yourself. These communities were full of hope and that hope was removed when the communities were destroyed.

25 years on? Did not one of these people consider retraining? You can't honestly blame a run down community now on what happened 25 years ago. How long had the conservatives been out of power?

I live in the middle of one (and did so in 84/5) seems OK...no different to before the strike really..vast majority of people working,some not....same as ever really..

25 years on? Did not one of these people consider retraining? You can't honestly blame a run down community now on what happened 25 years ago. How long had the conservatives been out of power?

Most people have moved on. However, the events of 25 years still cut deep into the lives of most of the people that live in the communities affected. Most communities have recovered reasonably well and some haven't.

I thought this thread was about the strikes, not the communities post pit closures?

Archived