Supervising a learner driver

Mrs F is currently learning to drive (about 10 lessons in) and this week we put her on my insurance so she can practice in our car between lessons.

Anybody got any tips on being in the passenger seat and helping her to improve? I don't want teach her as such (we'd soon come to blows), but would like to do more than screaming and covering my eyes.

Mrs F is currently learning to drive (about 10 lessons in) and this week we put her on my insurance so she can practice in our car between lessons.

Anybody got any tips on being in the passenger seat and helping her to improve? I don't want teach her as such (we'd soon come to blows), but would like to do more than screaming and covering my eyes.

Keep calm at all times get yourself an additional mirror so you can see what's happening behind,just look at your own driving and ask yourself how would you approach a junction or when to brake or change up or down gears so if Mrs F is doing things slightly different to how you would do it,tell her like i would have been braking by now or i would be changing down to second ,but keep calm both of you and don't forget you are legally in charge of the vehicle.

sit on your hands and bite your tongue

And don't forget the blindfold.

After a slight criticism of her driving my wife got out of the car, nearly took the door of its hinges, said a few choice phrases and said she would rather walk home (3 miles)than stay in the car with me.

I managed to grovel and I DROVE HOME.

To this day , 25 years later, she still refuses to drive if I'm in the car.:o:o

I worked with a bloke, who was teaching his wife to drive, and she would always take bus fare. :D

He would correct her, and she would say something on the lines of "well, if you think you can do better?", to which he would reply "of course I can do better, which is why I'm the one with the full licence".

She'd stop the car, no matter where they happened to be, get out and go to the nearest bus stop, and absolutely refuse to get back into the car.

He would drive the car home, and she would go home by bus. :hihi:

Archived