Ronksley history

emanjay

I can't make it to the Bradfield Family Days this year, but am thinking of next year - in October, 2013. Want to try and get some New Zealand Ronksleys there, too?

I am trying to find "the link" of the Ronksleys going to the USA from the UK. (when and who) :huh:

ladymary@xtra.co.nz

E. G.

PO Box 60640

Titirangi

Auckland 0642

NEW ZEALAND

I have miscellaneous notes on Ronksleys born in England but lived in the USA that might help you find the UK to USA link. I have not organized them yet into a tree, but here's what I have:

- William Ronksley born about 1794 in England, living in Illinois, USA 1860, don't have date for his arrival in USA

- Thomas Ronksley born about 1798 in England, living in Illinois, USA 1860, don't have date for his arrival in USA

- William Ronksley born about 1829 in England, died 1890 in Illinois, USA

- George Ronksley born about 1834 in England, arrived New York, USA 1853-Sep-19 on the "James Nesmith" from Liverpool

- James Ronksley born about 1838 in Yorkshire, England, son of William and Rachel Ronksley, living in Beaver County, PA, USA in 1870, don't have date for his arrival in USA

- James George Ronksley born 1852 in England, arrived New York, USA 1876-May-11 on the ship "Scotia"

Hope this helps.

- Tom Ronksley

I'm not related to the Ronksleys but it's very much a localised name, and I think David Hey mentions it in his local history books. A family history correspondent of mine found some lovely stories of Ronksley Black Sheep and passed them on to me. Deported to Australia I think. When I get home I will see if I can find them! Love a Black Sheep.....I have several rattling about in my ancestry!

I think the name can be traced back to one particular farm house in the Bradfield parish.

• 4 months later...

Hi, my name is Sarah Ann Clarke but I was born a Ronksley. My family had a farm called Low Farm in Womersley near Pontefract. My dad is David Ronksley son of Harry Ronksley and Constance Winifred Watson. My uncle Ken (Kenneth) has a son Richard Ronksley and he has sons so the family name is continuing. I was always proud to be called Ronksley as it was an unusual name. I always assumed it meant Ronk's field. I know the farm where the Ronksley's originated is under a reservoir. I would love to go and see the Ronksley Collection in Sheffield. I can give more information of my branch of the family if it helps. I would love to see how I'm related to the rest of the Ronksleys. I remember visiting Bradfield Church and seeing Ronksleys. The strangest one was in Derbyshire when I was looking for Little John's grave and found a Sarah Ann Ronksley - my name, spooky.

My mother, Mary Ronksley G...... is researching her family history

and her links to Audrey Ronksley.:huh:

My mother, her sister and her daughter and son have been working on it full time for weeks.:(

A few months ago they did not care at all about family history reserch, then bang they all crazy abouit it now.

That's because there was a reference to Audrey Ronksley on Heir Hunters recently.

Hi anyone heard of the Ronksley family?found a link at Fulwood and at High Bradfield Church - my mum is researching it at archives and just thought would mention on here in case anyone has any interest or local knowledge thanks :-)

try sue ronksley she married Reginald Ronksley they live in Loxley try facebook

Hi anyone heard of the Ronksley family?found a link at Fulwood and at High Bradfield Church - my mum is researching it at archives and just thought would mention on here in case anyone has any interest or local knowledge thanks :-)

hi

we have done our family tree and ronksley family is on our tree .

i went to high bradfield church and took photos of all the gravestones

There was a family of Ronksleys lived at the tobacconist and newspaper shop on Daniel hill st walkley when I was a lad in the 1950's but cant remember much more than that

There was a family of Ronksleys lived at the tobacconist and newspaper shop on Daniel hill st walkley when I was a lad in the 1950's but cant remember much more than that
The directories I have between 1942 and 1968 show "Mrs Nellie Ronksley, grocer" at 123 Daniel Hill Street. The marriages index shows that a John Ronksley married a Nellie Darwin in Sheffield in 1920. Likely children are James, born Jul-Sep 1920 and Jean, born Jul-Sep 1922. John was evidently the John Ronksley who turns up in the 1911 census as a 13 year-old living in Solly Street with his parents James & Matilda, and seven siblings. He evidently died aged 84 in 1982; Nellie died aged 82 in 1980.