Ronksley history

emanjay

From 1841 to 1911 census the Ronksleys I have all came from the area of Bradfield and Dungworth near Sheffild Syke house farm is listed John and Hannah there in 1851

John born 1816 wed Hannah B1822andalso wed Sarah B. 1818

children Sarah 1844 Martha1849 Lavinia 1850 James 1852 Mary 1859 Eliz 1860 Martha =Sarahs daughter B.1845

William 1849 wed Martha

John Arthur B. 1880 wed Alice Perry B. 1884

children Hilda Martha Dorothy Richard John William and James Reginald B. 1911 wed Elsie Violet Gregg B. 1916 one son Reginald B. 1942 wed Susan Collin B. 1847

I'm not related to the Ronksleys but it's very much a localised name, and I think David Hey mentions it in his local history books. A family history correspondent of mine found some lovely stories of Ronksley Black Sheep and passed them on to me. Deported to Australia I think. When I get home I will see if I can find them! Love a Black Sheep.....I have several rattling about in my ancestry!

I think the name can be traced back to one particular farm house in the Bradfield parish.

I believe that may have been Isaac Ronksley who married my ancestor, Ann Ellison in 1793. Ann died in 1810 leaving him with with 9 young children to support - Mary b 1794, John b 1796, Isaac b 1798, Annis b 1799, William b 1801, Millicent b 1804, Elizabeth b 1806, Harriet b 1808, and Charles b 1810. Isaac snr stole 80 sheep from J. Greaves of Bradfield and was found guilty of theft at York assizes in 1815. He was originally sentenced to death but that was commuted to 'transportation to beyond the seas' for 14 years - he arrived in Sydney, Australia 30th January 1816. He never returned.

The romantic in me wonders if he stole the sheep to try to support his kids but 80 seems a bit greedy !

What on earth happened to the 9 children he left behind ?

Presumably they would have been cared for by other family members but has anyone any information at all ?

Edited by Daven

• 2 months later...
I think my grandmother was a Ronksley I overheard an Aunt saying she had traced the family tree, according to the bit I heard they were land owners who came over from Normandy in 1088.

1088? wow! Ancestry.com only has us back to the 1200's. I'm hoping to make it to the 2013 Ancestry Days in Bradfield and would love to meet up with other Ronksleys across the pond.

• 4 weeks later...

I would be amazed if someone with a very typical Anglo Saxon name would have come across with William the Conqueror. In fact I am sure they wouldnt. Those who did all have French names :P

Rob

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 13:03 ----------

I would just like to share what I know about the case of Audrey Ronksley. Anyone who descends from the following Ronksley people will have a claim

Amy born circa 1871

William born circa 1872

Samuel born circa 1874

Arthur born circa 1875

Sydney and Mary born circa 1877

Eleanor born circa 1878

Frank E born circa 1880.

Has it stands these descendents will be able to claim a percentage of 50% of the estate. The estate is worth at the minimum of £500 By the time whomever makes the first claim has purchased all the relevant certificates I feel this estate would be insolvent as they would be able to claim the cost of these back from the estate.

Also anyone making an accepted claim would also have to find the whole of the Darley entitled heirs. At present my research is not complete but if as suspected William Darley died without issue could run into another 8 possible names which would then need bringing forward.

As a probate researcher I feel this case is not going to be a viable option for myself. I will if anyone wants to pursue this pass on all I know. It should be noted that Kiwi Boy as told me in a nasty email they have entered a claim it may be worth waiting a couple of months to see if this is accepted by TsOL and if it is anyone with a claim should be contacting them for their share.

Many blessings for this festive period

Rob

I would be amazed if someone with a very typical Anglo Saxon name would have come across with William the Conqueror. In fact I am sure they wouldnt. Those who did all have French names :P

Rob

---------- Post added 24-12-2012 at 13:03 ----------

I would just like to share what I know about the case of Audrey Ronksley. Anyone who descends from the following Ronksley people will have a claim

Amy born circa 1871

William born circa 1872

Samuel born circa 1874

Arthur born circa 1875

Sydney and Mary born circa 1877

Eleanor born circa 1878

Frank E born circa 1880.

Has it stands these descendents will be able to claim a percentage of 50% of the estate. The estate is worth at the minimum of £500 By the time whomever makes the first claim has purchased all the relevant certificates I feel this estate would be insolvent as they would be able to claim the cost of these back from the estate.

Also anyone making an accepted claim would also have to find the whole of the Darley entitled heirs. At present my research is not complete but if as suspected William Darley died without issue could run into another 8 possible names which would then need bringing forward.

As a probate researcher I feel this case is not going to be a viable option for myself. I will if anyone wants to pursue this pass on all I know. It should be noted that Kiwi Boy as told me in a nasty email they have entered a claim it may be worth waiting a couple of months to see if this is accepted by TsOL and if it is anyone with a claim should be contacting them for their share.

Many blessings for this festive period

Rob

Not wanting to start an arguement on this issue, but not all Williams followers were French, as for the name being Anglo Saxon the family could have changed the name during times of turmoil I did see a reference to a 'Le ronks' on an old document it doesnt take much to change it if you want to get rid of any french connection.

Edited by hathechewed