Ronksley history

emanjay

Not wanting to start an arguement on this issue, but not all Williams followers were French..
And in any event the Normans themselves were not "proper" French - they were descended from Viking stock (Norman = Norseman) - see here and the map showing what a small area of France they occupied in c. 1130. In fact it seems the French didn't like the Normans, if Shakespeare's Duke of Bourbon in Henry V (Act 3, Scene 5) is anything to go on - he describes Henry's army as "Normans, but b*st*rd Normans, Norman b*st*rds"..:blush: So maybe to find the original Ronksleys we need to look beyond Normandy to Scandinavia?.:confused:

Edited by hillsbro

And in any event the Normans themselves were not "proper" French - they were descended from Viking stock (Norman = Norseman) - see here and the map showing what a small area of France they occupied in c. 1130. In fact it seems the French didn't like the Normans, if Shakespeare's Duke of Bourbon in Henry V (Act 3, Scene 5) is anything to go on - he describes Henry's army as "Normans, but b*st*rd Normans, Norman b*st*rds"..:blush: So maybe to find the original Ronksleys we need to look beyond Normandy to Scandinavia?.:confused:

you are right, Normandy was gifted to the Vikings to protect the west coast of France from attack by other Vikings, it didnt take too long before marriages were being performed between the Normans (North men) and the French and does'nt alter the fact that family names can change to suite a political climate at any one time, eg Le ronks may = Ronksley.

This is one of those names where the Etymology may or may not be accurate however Leah later corrupted to Ley is a Saxon word not a norse word. It is likely that the earliest Ronksley in this country was named after the place or vice versa and to search all the medieval manuscripts would be a long drawn out process. I have looked at a number of lists of knights who are purported to come across with William I and on none does a Ronksbey or a Ronks appear. This is in no way proof that one didnt as all these lists are suspect by nature of when they were produced. This is one of those debates that will run and run as there is no definitive answer either way.

I wonder what David Hey would say?

Rob

• 2 years later...

Hello

My great grandad was Jack Ronksley married to Nellie they had 2 children Jim and Joan, Joan being my Nan, my dad's mum. Jack had a cutlery business but It was bombed in the war and my great Nan had a shop.

I know Jack had 4 brothers one had the driving school and one had the ice cream van, don't know anything about the others.

Nellie's dad was called Charles Darwin. Would love to know more.

Jo

I know this is an old thread but thought I would update it.

Granddad Jack passed away earlier this year at the good old age of 98. He passed away 2 days after his youngest son Trevor (my dad) who was 67.

Both of them are sadly missed but would have loved to know people are interested in the family name.

Did Trevor have the Loxley country club about 18 -19 years ago?

---------- Post added 22-10-2015 at 23:18 ----------

The directories I have between 1942 and 1968 show "Mrs Nellie Ronksley, grocer" at 123 Daniel Hill Street. The marriages index shows that a John Ronksley married a Nellie Darwin in Sheffield in 1920. Likely children are James, born Jul-Sep 1920 and Jean, born Jul-Sep 1922. John was evidently the John Ronksley who turns up in the 1911 census as a 13 year-old living in Solly Street with his parents James & Matilda, and seven siblings. He evidently died aged 84 in 1982; Nellie died aged 82 in 1980.

That's my great Nan, Nelli and my great grandad Jack, his real name was John but everyone called him Jack. Their children was Joan and Jim. Joan is my dad's mum. My dad can remember the shop.