First pub you went in and how old

Roly lives abroad now.

However getting back to subject, The Rising Sun, Abbey Lane, about 1967, did a buffet at lunchtime, taken in with family, allowed a small glass of wine.

Totally without elders, The Sporstman, just up from Wadsley Church at the age of 16 in 1969.

John had a used car pitch in Broomhill prior to taking the South Seas, his partner was Neil Weinburgh (ex of Neil's corner). He could have lived in Hanginwater, but as he died years ago, and Sandra lives in Spain, I will have to wait until I next bump into Neil.

Do you remember a Barmaid called Nancy at the South Seas ?

The Mail Coach was my first pub too. It was 1960 and I was 15. I was etching knives back then and we used to go in at dinner time in all our muck. Had my first taste of beer ugh!! I still don't like the tast of it and was scared to death I would get caught but I didn't. Made you feel grown up though.

Arborthorne hotel. I was just 18 and a pal, at work,Barry Marshall, who ended up singing

with Bitter Suite, told me to go.

He said there was a good band on, so I went. He was right.

the singer called himself Vance Arnold - calls himself Joe Cocker now.

It was hot & sweaty so I drank four or five pints of Stones. It took me over an hour to

walk (stagger) home, to Darnall.

Robin Hood - Millhouses aged 15. We were supposed to be in the youth club next door playing ping pong. Tetley's 10p, DD 14p. Had a bad experience one dark night when a pointy hat appeared sillouetted by the street lamps at the front door. We grabbed our beer and legged it to the gents - only to peer out and see a rambler type with a tall bobble hat ordering his beer!

Archived