Use of "white noise" to mask neighbours stereo/TV

Does anyone have any experience in using "white noise" to mask a neighbour`s stereo/TV ?

We`ve tried putting on some classical music to mask it but it`s got to be so loud to completely mask it that we can`t work, and in the quiet bits you can still hear the noise from next door......

One truly doe not appreciate what one has until one hasn`t got it anymore. I`ve owned this shop for 14 years and had quiet, but now a new neighbour has moved into the adjoining flat and the noise of his stereo/TV is winding me up. It`s not really really loud but I can hear it quite plainly and when I`m trying to concentrate it winds me up like you`ve never known. In fact I got so worked up the other day I "lost it" and the police were called !

I can see why people want detached houses, just when the Government are trying to cram more and more flats/detached houses onto all the land......

Edit 7 Sept 2012

The answer ! (well almost.....)

I really do sympathise. We had quiet neighbours for years and then someone moved into the adjoining house who played music all the time, in every room, so there was no getting away from it. We tried talking to her, but she got upset and said that she was alone and needed the music for company and couldn't sleep, so needed the music on all night as well. It drove me crazy.

In the end we moved, but reluctantly, as we'd been in the house for 20 years. The only thing I can suggest is wax earplugs, when you can't stand it any more. Another thing I did was sit in the bathroom to read and work - it was the only room I couldn't hear the music from and it was either that or commit an atrocity.

The other thing to consider is having your own adjoining wall soundproofed. The technology wasn't around when we were on the receiving end, but there's all sorts of things that can be done now. It's worth investigating.

When you get to the end of your tether, get out and go for a long walk.

Good luck.

Have you been round to talk to the person?

I have.

Normal story.

Hinted at there being a problem.

Then asked him straight out (nicely at first) if he could turn it down.

Then a bit more forcefully.

Then a bit more more forcefully still.

Then started getting angry.

The police said they also thought it was too loud, but said they thought he was hard of hearing in one ear.

Worse still, he doesn`t work, so he`s there all bleedin` day, every bleedin` day.

I really do sympathise. We had quiet neighbours for years and then someone moved into the adjoining house who played music all the time, in every room, so there was no getting away from it. We tried talking to her, but she got upset and said that she was alone and needed the music for company and couldn't sleep, so needed the music on all night as well. It drove me crazy.

In the end we moved, but reluctantly, as we'd been in the house for 20 years. The only thing I can suggest is wax earplugs, when you can't stand it any more. Another thing I did was sit in the bathroom to read and work - it was the only room I couldn't hear the music from and it was either that or commit an atrocity.

The other thing to consider is having your own adjoining wall soundproofed. The technology wasn't around when we were on the receiving end, but there's all sorts of things that can be done now. It's worth investigating.

When you get to the end of your tether, get out and go for a long walk.

Good luck.

I have noticed when we put the fan on it helps drown out the noise, but that`s not appropriate in the winter ( ! ) so wondered if we could get a CD with white noise on it to work in a similar way.

Don`t get me wrong, there`s no way we should have to do all this, but I don`t really see any other way out of it. It isn`t huge decibels, so Environmental Health probably wouldn`t be interested, but it is affecting us, me in particular when I`m trying to bleedin` concentrate !

I have.

Normal story.

Hinted at there being a problem.

Then asked him straight out (nicely at first) if he could turn it down.

Then a bit more forcefully.

Then a bit more more forcefully still.

Then started getting angry.

The police said they also thought it was too loud, but said they thought he was hard of hearing in one ear.

Worse still, he doesn`t work, so he`s there all bleedin` day, every bleedin` day.

Right. Can't see why the police would say they think he's deaf (Then again nothing surprises me with S.Yorks police), it would be up to him to prove that.

It's a pain and takes a while but try getting in touch with the environmental department. They have procedures you can take.

Failing all of that a large speaker late at night whilst he wants to sleep will do it.

I read somewhere about a device that captures the sound, and immediately replays it, thus flattening the sound wave.

Result, to our ears, silence.

Then again, I may have dreamt it :hihi:

Theoretically it's possible but the whole ceiling (or wall where the sound came from) would need to act as a speaker and ideally you would need a microphone or line in in the offenders property.

Theoretically it's possible but the whole ceiling (or wall where the sound came from) would need to act as a speaker and ideally you would need a microphone or line in in the offenders property.

On potential downside, would it also tend to reduce the volume of sounds within the room, like your wife talking to you.

Err, on second thoughts, where can I get one....

Only joking darling !

Archived