• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

I think you need a few more candidates such as Dore, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Totley. These areas always strike me as soul-less with a large proportion of their population consisting of people who look down on other areas of the city.

There is a good case for transferring these areas out of Sheffield.

IMHO, that is.

Funny, for many of us, they represent what is good about Sheffield. If not all that is good about Sheffield - and they are certainly not soul-less.

Without such areas, Sheffield would die. Where theres muck theres brass, as the old saying goes, but without the brass - who would subsidise the muck? In that respect, I for one would be delighted to have a line drawn down the West side of Sheffield, establish a new town called Hallam with its own council and level of taxation, and see how the rest of the old city fares without the Hallam council tax contributions to suckle on.

. . . . . clear speech, no dialect and almost no accent.

People who don\\\'t have broad accents might live anywhere, they\\\'re not limited to the most expensive areas. The sad thing is this is likely to be resented in some of the less \\\'upmarket\\\' areas, people who speak pleasantly often being referred to as snobs... :(.

Whenever this sort of subject is raised, be it on an internet forum or in the workplace, it is seemingly guaranteed that the most vociferously-put views dividing class and society are those put by the inverted snobs.

There seems to be an unhealthily passionate intolerance of the more educated and cultured among us, which is perpetuated by many among the working classes. And, interestingly, it is mostly a northern thing. You will not find the same level of vitriolic, embittered views in most other parts of the country, for whatever reason. I have worked across the UK for my entire career and have, I am informed, no accent. To some of my fellow Sheffield inhabitants, that must make me a snob.

That view is born from two things: ignorance, and jealousy.

It is interesting just how graceless some of the people from the wealthier parts of Sheffield posting on this thread are.

Obviously, the likes of Ecclesall, Dore, Totley and the like have generally the more highly rated houses, the people with loads of money to spend on whatever they fancy (whether it's an expensive car, a beautiful house, or whatever else floats their boats), and the comfort to be able to choose where they want to live (rather than not being able to afford to move to such a wealthy area as many in the city are faced with).

But many people, faced with living in some of the less appreciated areas, really do like living there, perhaps because they don't have people looking down their noses at them all the time, or because they have close friends and family there? Of course there is the likelihood of some jealousy (more to do with you having so much money you can do what you want, rather than because you live in Ecclesall or Totley).

If you look back to the start of the thread, it was t020 appearing to gloat about their own fortune to be able to live in Ecclesall (and not, as they were at pains to point out, 'that hellhole' that is the Eccy Road...! - at least that was the impression as they disassociated Ecclesall from Ecclesall Road) :)

Anyway, if you're going to go and start slagging off 'lesser' areas (particularly as much of it seems just based on hearsay and scare stories from legendary newspapers such as The Star), don't be surprised when you get some of it back. It seems that this led to particularly unpleasant gloating, that makes some of the 'south Sheffield posse' look like the old Harry Enfield character, Loadsamoney! Which is shame, as that's not the impression i've got from being in these wealthier areas usually... you're not making yourselves look too good!

The other thing is, surely the South Sheffielders should stop saying how great everything is there (no crime, loads of money, big cars etc) as it's just like waving a big sign to the criminal element from all over the city that you have lots worth stealing! Also, you need areas like Pitsmoor, the Manor, PX etc to make your areas look that much better in comparison :)

The only area i'd not live in is Hillsborough, but that's more to do with the Satan-worshipping lot that wear the Tesco bags on a Saturday afternoon :)

...surely the South Sheffielders should stop saying how great everything is there (no crime, loads of money, big cars etc) as it's just like waving a big sign to the criminal element from all over the city that you have lots worth stealing!

We've nothing to fear.

Thieves are lazy and would sooner steal a purse from the granny up the road than go to the trouble and expense of hiring a van, driving up to the posh side of the city and making off with a grand piano ;)

I am not a big earner by any means. I have been lucky with house purchases and the rise in property prices in the last 10 years. I wanted the best education and surroundings for my kids and that meant the SW of the city.

I struggle with making ends meet every month as do alot of people from all over Sheffield. I have not made any assumptions about other parts of Sheffield. I have lived in Norfolk Park and at the bottom of Abbeydale Road so I a limited knowledge of life outside S7.

I think you need a few more candidates such as Dore, Fulwood, Ecclesall, Totley. These areas always strike me as soul-less with a large proportion of their population consisting of people who look down on other areas of the city.

There is a good case for transferring these areas out of Sheffield.

IMHO, that is.

Don't forget lower Stannington either!

Don't forget lower Stannington either!

You can't put Lower Stannington or any part of Stannington in with Dore, Millhouses, etc..

I have relatives living in Stannington, the top end and it has a nice village feel but also has its fair share of ant-social behaviour.

Hey idiot, Dore is as much a part of Sheffield as Darnall. Do you think that south Sheffield people never leave the districts that they live in? I wager that I know far more about the entirety of my city than a chip on shoulder clown like you.

Students, generic middle class/upper class people, are you having a laugh or are you just stupid? You clearly know where the south of Sheffield is (opposite of north if you are struggling), is it that you can't afford to live there?

Yes I like to be close to the Peak National Park, what's wrong with that? I do actually intend to move to a village in Derbyshire, something wrong with that is there?

Cheaper than what cities, London, New York or Paris perhaps? Do you ever get your head from up your backside and look around? South West Sheffield has never been cheap to buy property in, when we bought our detached wreck for £12,400 we could have bought a larger pristine property in the North of Sheffield for less money.

I have lived on The Manor, Gleadless, Norfolk Park and now live in one of the districts that you hate, moved here in 1976 and have never regretted it. The only trouble is that everyone moving in now appears to be one of the new elite public sector employees. I stopped using my local years ago because of their inverted snobbery, conversation revolved around their childrens education and their next pay rise or promotion, oh yes and the obligitory annual camping trip to France. It used to revolve around football, cricket, darts and snooker and the latest mucky joke but sadly not any longer.

Perhaps these are the folk that you have met and dislike so much, if so please accept my apologies if I have offended you, if not feel free to remain offended.

The new elite public sector employees!! strikes a chord with lots of us! on a par with Lawyers I would say...................so you can draw your own conclusions

Archived