• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

I was just reading that post and wondered what a 'new elite public employee' is?

In the old 'olde' days, only the landed gentry and those who owned the steelworks could afford to live in SW Sheffield (also known as the good old days).

These days, civil servants and other government employees on large salaries paid for by the taxpayer can afford to live there.

In the old 'olde' days, only the landed gentry and those who owned the steelworks could afford to live in SW Sheffield (also known as the good old days).

These days, civil servants and other government employees on large salaries paid for by the taxpayer can afford to live there.

To the best of my knowledge, on the street where I live only one none public sector worker has moved in in the last five years. If this is representitive of the nation as a whole the 'new elite' should start to worry about who will be paying taxes to pay their salaries in the future.

It doesn't bode well that private sector workers are now the poor relation in respect of living in SW Sheffield. They pay their taxes on 'new money' unlike the public sector who pay their taxes on previously taxed money. Only a vibrant private sector can pay for an ever increasing army of public/local authority workers wage demands and inflation linked pensions.

My experience of family and family friends who brought up their kids in S17 is that the kids are moving to S7 & S8 because of housing costs. I wonder where their kids will have to move to to afford a property of their own, cloggs to cloggs etc; comes to mind.

To the best of my knowledge, on the street where I live only one none public sector worker has moved in in the last five years. If this is representitive of the nation as a whole the 'new elite' should start to worry about who will be paying taxes to pay their salaries in the future.

It doesn't bode well that private sector workers are now the poor relation in respect of living in SW Sheffield. They pay their taxes on 'new money' unlike the public sector who pay their taxes on previously taxed money. Only a vibrant private sector can pay for an ever increasing army of public/local authority workers wage demands and inflation linked pensions.

My experience of family and family friends who brought up their kids in S17 is that the kids are moving to S7 & S8 because of housing costs. I wonder where their kids will have to move to to afford a property of their own, cloggs to cloggs etc; comes to mind.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the young Crooksey...SW has born the brunt of a fluctuating market like everyone else. It's happened before and it'll happen again...if S17 kids have to downgrade to S7 as you suggest then it only follows that S7 kids will have to downgrade to S5 evening out your theory and making S7 a paradise...:D

I heard or read recently that S17 has the highest population of young Millionaires in the country..19 to 29. So working on that the kids have nothing to worry about...except how to invest and spend their money of course.

Money doesn't create areas like the SW..a certain type do. If all the people on the manor won the lottery it certainly wouldn't change the manor, just their spending power.

You clearly know where the south of Sheffield is (opposite of north if you are struggling), is it that you can't afford to live there?

Yes I like to be close to the Peak National Park, what's wrong with that? I do actually intend to move to a village in Derbyshire, something wrong with that is there?

The Peak District isn't really that close to south Sheffield. The boundary actually runs up the western boundary of Sheffield from the south west up to the north west. :thumbsup:

Don't public sector employees pay tax then?? Flippin 'eck!! :o

There's a bashing wealthier areas of Sheffield and bashing poorer areas attitude problem...

Totley's got lovely woods, brooks and streams for children to play in. The pubs have gone downhill with Ember Innsisation and the Cricket Inn's gone OTT. Dore Village is great with its little shops and village athmosphere. The Peak is but a few hundred yards from the recreation ground and there are footpaths dissecting S17 all over. Anyone remember Mira's post office and Totley Hall Pick Your Own?

Similarly, Wybourn's got great community spirit and great views. Manor's got good transport connections.

I have family who live in Abbeydale Park, they were brought up on the Manor. They then moved to Gleadless (Durlstone Crescent though I'm not sure) and bought a house on Abbeydale Park when the estates were being built (yes Dore is made up of private housing estates, as in groups of houses all built by one company) in the fifties or whenever.

This thread seems to have turned from 'what's the worst area' to 'lets snipe at South Sheffield'

well said i totaly agree with you

humans . well i think it must come from as i said before he said she said crap

its turned into who can get the bigest punch in

time to step back and say home is what you make it no mater where you live each have there good points each have there bad points . the END .

Don't public sector employees pay tax then?? Flippin 'eck!! :o

They do, but as crookesey pointed out in greater depth, their salaries and taxes come from our taxes.

As public sector employees become more numerous (all those call centre androids make the employment stats look rosy) and the high-flyers amongst them start demanding higher wages and better pensions, then expect our taxes to rise to meet this demand.

well said i totaly agree with you

humans . well i think it must come from as i said before he said she said crap

its turned into who can get the bigest punch in

time to step back and say home is what you make it no mater where you live each have there good points each have there bad points . the END .

Good points...I've never understood the saying.."Location, location, location. People from the North will buy in the North...as people from the SW will buy from there. You buy where your most comfortable...unless your buying for profit, in which case it doesn't matter where you buy...that's probably where location location.............comes to play.

Archived