• Arbourthorne
    • Burngreave
    • Parson Cross
    • Wincobank
    • Manor Park
    • Darnall
    • Woodthorpe
    • City Centre

not every 1 in parson cross are scrubbers,out of work etc.some of us manage to bring up kids who dont go round being thugs,and go to work and pay our own way.it is a small number of people who spoil an area,ive lived in firth park same there not all bad,i was born on the manor and hearing some comments on here i just think snobs,so what if some people earn more money than others,it doesnt give you the right to look down on others,or judge them,

• 4 months later...

...Meersbrook??? I was passing through there the other day and it looked sooooo depressing. I remember it was also almost 10 years to the day when I got a bike nicked outside a shop there.....

Yes of COURSE im well off. I was brought up in one of rotherhams many fine mansions and attended one of its famous private schools. I know nothing about what crap areas and the people who live there are like.

As for the question what is sheffield WORST area - i would presume the one you regard the worst would be the one youd want to live in least.

I notice you say you were brought up in Rotherham, im just wondering if there is any reason why you dont mention this <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<over there, why does it say "near sheffield"?:huh:

Nice to see Longley did,nt get into the worse areas bit, cause its a nice spot were i live.

However anyone who lives in a council area live there because we have no choice.

If finances were higher then we would all move to a nicer area, deep down i know it and you know it.

You don,t live on the Manor or Pitsmoor if your earning 100k a year because you can afford better, although i doubt that any council area has a resident earning anywhere near that amount so we have to live somewhere and thats a council area like it or not.

Given the choice i would not move to Dore or any other Hallam areas because if i earned big money or won the lottery the country side is were i would head for.

meanwhile i earn less than a quarter of that so i will stay in my private house on a council estate until my lottery numbers come up.

Actually some people choose to live in a council house and wouldnt change a thing for many reasons, 1 of them being that they have seen their friends loose their nice houses in their nice areas as soon as there is a crisis, and to some, its whats inside, behind the doors that counts, not what the neighbours are saying about the water feature bla bla bla... Those people can still earn good money, but appriciate that they can have a happy life with a nice house and just about "all" their wages for themselves as the rent is very cheap. Also i am actually frightened for you... im frightened that someone from Dore might read your post and go mental at you daring to claim their Dore isnt in the countryside....as most like to believe.... lol

Bit of a leftfield input - I am covering the Manor area for the breeding bird atlas

http://www.sbsg.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/atlas_2003_intro.html

I was surprised after all I'd heard to find that there is an amazing amount of green space, even in what is supposed to be a core urban area.

It's an interesting place to wander round at dawn, though I take my cheaper binoculars :)

As well as singing Meadow Pipit and Stock Dove, at the ruined Manor itself there is at least one Whitethroat territory, and around the old barns and associated scrapyards (Manor Oaks?) are the only Swallows I have seen in the inner city. None of these are what you would call core urban species.

Compared to what I've seen in other cities, Sheffield's 'worst area' looks like a green and pleasant land.

There's a hell of a lot of boarded-up houses though.

The boarded up houses may not be anything to do with trouble, our council have this terrible habit of boarding them up, claiming they cant get tennants for them, and then being granted more money to spend... It helps no one other themselves really, and leaves hundreds of people on the prioroty list waiting for about 6 months, bidding on properties that they dont get, but that no one else does either..The same property comes up week after week. Same with those not on prority for that matter, but they may find that should they actually mention that they bidded on a house that has still not been let, that they get it.... Im glad you liked your time on the manor tho, i drove thru today and got given the low down of its entire history by my OH after making the mistake of mentioning the castle and how i never expected it to be there lol

Yes. It seems some people are trying to make out Ecclesall and other areas to be as bad as other areas in Sheffield, probably out of jealousy, or just looking for an argument, who knows. What I do know is that Ecclesall Rd is NOT Ecclesall, it simply leads to it. I agree with you that its not the area itself, its the people within it. Thats why a 3 bed semi would cost hundreds of thousands in South West Sheffield, and about half as much and less in other parts. The actual house itself is pretty much the same, but people are prepared to pay more to avoid the trouble makers such as the druggies. Well, that and the fact that we're closer to the Peak district, have tree lined roads, have several large parks and woods, etc etc.

Never heard so much twoddle in my whole entire life... Nice areas are full of drugs and crime, difference is..the money is already there and so its easier to get up the criminal career ladder, where as in your usual average joe area where the money isnt there, then they have to start right at the very bottom, and risk getting caught... I guess you could say the drugs trade is similar to the career trade, you find a hell of alot more people from nicer areas have been given their first business by their parents who could afford to give it to them, where as in usual areas, people may have to start their own business. I had a friend when i was younger who lives on Dore Rd in a very big beautiful house, his parents had so much money that they allowed it to bring their child up, rather than doing it themselves with love, and i was totally gob smacked at the amount of heroin he showed me he had got to sell to people, when i asked if he cared about what he was doing to them his reply was "why the hell should I, i just care about the cash" needless to say i didnt stay his friend, but what I learned in the time i was his friend, was that everyone he knew were from Dore, Fulwood and whirlow, and they were all at it. Naturally it makes you wonder why normal everyday people should suffer the consiquences of people from "Posh" areas doing this to people and then us having to house them in our areas and get dragged down with them!!!

Archived